Sign in with
Your question

URGENT QUESTION PLZ HELP

Last response: in Storage
August 14, 2011 5:39:06 AM

I have a hp simple save portable hard drive. iv been using i 1 year and suddenly one day it goes so slow and it lags my entire computer, it takes like 4 minutes just to go in a sub folder and the copy speed use to be 18-20mb now it goes at 2-6mb, i tried virus scan and error scan, i also tried it on another computer but its stil the same results
I

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it,

More about : urgent question plz

a b G Storage
August 14, 2011 5:53:25 AM

Try a different computer. Sometimes drives go bad, in which case get as much data off before it dies. Not saying there's no solution...it might be something else...but you should prepare for that eventuality while it still works at all.
August 14, 2011 6:11:16 AM

Like i will try moving 1tb worth of stuff going at like 2mbs
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 14, 2011 7:10:44 AM

If you don't you may well be saying good bye to a TB of data.
a b G Storage
August 14, 2011 7:32:32 AM

It'll take a while and if the hd is bad the giant transfer might kill it for good, but it is doable. Maybe prioritize based on how important the data is.

It's not a pleasant reality, but it is definitely what you should do. If you don't have enough drive space then go buy a new external drive. If you can't do that then transfer as much as you can. If you still don't have enough drive space then rub some prayer beads and dive into some old forums while you wait for new responses on this one.
August 14, 2011 10:46:24 AM

Any other suggestions?
August 14, 2011 10:55:51 AM

maybe a trojan scan? sometime antiviruses dont catch them little buggers. also when drives tend to go bad, they emit kind of a rythmic clicking sound. anything like that is happening?
August 14, 2011 11:41:35 AM

You may try to get the disk out of the box and connect it internally in a desctop computer. In this case you'll at least know if it's a problem of the disk itself or is something with the enclosure controller.
a b G Storage
August 14, 2011 5:41:53 PM

pepe2907 said:
You may try to get the disk out of the box and connect it internally in a desctop computer. In this case you'll at least know if it's a problem of the disk itself or is something with the enclosure controller.

That is a useful technique for troubleshooting, but it will void your warranty and those things can be really hard to get out so be careful you don't damage the drive in the process. The apply-brute-force method should only be used as a last resort, but that may be where you're at right now.
!