Sign in with
Your question

Tired of my Force GT 120GB, new disk, which?

Last response: in Storage
August 14, 2011 9:06:51 AM

Hi, so I bought a new system recently,Asus P8 Z68-V PRO, Corsair Vengeance 8gig ram and the Force GT disk.

For two days it was fine then i got lockups and BSODS every other day. I tried every fix other than updating firmware which I will but looking at the forums it looks like people still have problems after applying it so I have very little faith in it.

I really appreciated the speed of the disk but I just want a system that works without this hassle.

So I come here looking for advice, this time when I buy a disk I really just want a smooth run.

My choice is between the Intel 510 and Crucial M4.

Now, they both use the Marvell controller, the Crucial one is a newer one. Still it's not the sandforce one that i've had issues with.

Only reason I'm not just taking Intel 510 which seems most reliable is because of speed, the M4 one apparently is alot faster in small writes. Is it worth it? Am I taking a chance with the M4?

Any advice on this? Again I got Asus P8 Z68-V PRO board, I'd prefer not having to update stuff like firmware, how noticeable will the speed change be between the Force GT, M4 and Intel 510 :) 

More about : tired force 120gb disk

a b G Storage
August 14, 2011 11:44:45 AM

You running in AHCI mode? Running it in SATA mode is going to create havok.
a b G Storage
August 14, 2011 1:50:36 PM

I don't think a 'real world' person is likely to see the difference between those 3 drives. I like the m4 and have not heard about problems with it. I'm still partial to the intel 320 actually but the intel 510 is certainly the 'flagship' intel model at present. 510 was designed to show off intel's new sata 3 controller as you know.

So, Force GT (if it works) is choice 1.
M4 is choice 2
Intel 510 is choice 3 (unless you have decided you really want an intel drive because you can be pretty sure it will just WORK).

Related resources
August 14, 2011 2:00:05 PM

Thanks for the answers!

Supermuncher85 said:
You running in AHCI mode? Running it in SATA mode is going to create havok.

Well yes, before I installed Windows I set Sata mode to AHCI, well actually it was set to it by default already.

adampower said:
I don't think a 'real world' person is likely to see the difference between those 3 drives. I like the m4 and have not heard about problems with it. I'm still partial to the intel 320 actually but the intel 510 is certainly the 'flagship' intel model at present. 510 was designed to show off intel's new sata 3 controller as you know.

So, Force GT (if it works) is choice 1.
M4 is choice 2
Intel 510 is choice 3 (unless you have decided you really want an intel drive because you can be pretty sure it will just WORK).

Yeah, I'm gonna do what I can with the GT drive over the weekend and pray to the gods that it will work because I really like it and Corsair for that matter.

If it doesn't pan out I think I'll take a shot at M4.

Just out of curiosity, when you mentioned that a normal person cant really tell a difference between them, why do you rank M4 as 2 when Intel seems more reliable or do you view them as equally reliable but M4 brings some extra power?

Other than that I'm gonna go a bit offtopic with a question. So when you do a firmware update, if it doesnt help you are adviced to reinstall Windows, reset CMOS and do a secure erase of the disk. Not in that order necessarily.

How important are these steps, I was hoping to get away with just a reinstall but is the reinstall in vain if you dont do the other things I listed?
a b G Storage
August 14, 2011 2:45:24 PM

I just prefer the M4 as its controller seems more tweaked towards real world rather than sequential read/write. I recognize intel was trying to show big numbers and max the sata 3 bandwidth in order to showcase their controller.

Good point to catch me up in my own words! If they are all equal why wouldn't I recommend the most reliable? I guess that's why I'm partial to the 320, in a way. When intel threw out the 510 in the mess of ssd's coming this spring I was turned off by the third party controller. The 320 was the 'third gen' drive with the super cap array. Too bad they haven't updated their controller too.

I haven't played sandforce 2281 games. I've heard something as simple as changing the psu can change the dynamics of the bsod. It's a wily one for sure this bsod. I wish you luck.
August 14, 2011 9:19:16 PM

It is actually your mobo's controller that is not playing nice with the drive. The force GT drive works fantastic itself, but intel boards are notorious for not playing nice with sandforce based drives. Hopefully they and sandforce both will get their crap together. I can say with the sb850 amd boards, ssd drives generally ROCK and are issue free. I know as I am also a force gt 120gb owner on an AMD board :)  The crucial drive is generally a lot better choice on the intel boards however those that have used a drive with big numbers like the 2281 based drives, you can definitely tell a difference in speed, but reliability is #1 so run what you can.
August 15, 2011 6:30:38 PM

I tried the 1.3 firmware, didn't help. I'm quite sure updating BIOS won't help me either. This is for sure something bigger. Needless to say I can't be bothered to upgrade my BIOS, do a secure erase and reinstall Windows just because it 'might' work.

Gonna purchase a new disk and give SSDs another shot, a shame really. Might just keep the disk and replug it when they solve the issue. But there is no ETA on that so I wont be holding my breathe.

adampower said:
I just prefer the M4 as its controller seems more tweaked towards real world rather than sequential read/write. I recognize intel was trying to show big numbers and max the sata 3 bandwidth in order to showcase their controller.

Good point to catch me up in my own words! If they are all equal why wouldn't I recommend the most reliable? I guess that's why I'm partial to the 320, in a way. When intel threw out the 510 in the mess of ssd's coming this spring I was turned off by the third party controller. The 320 was the 'third gen' drive with the super cap array. Too bad they haven't updated their controller too.

I haven't played sandforce 2281 games. I've heard something as simple as changing the psu can change the dynamics of the bsod. It's a wily one for sure this bsod. I wish you luck.

Thanks, yeah. My current PSU is a Corsair AX 850. But I think this issue is going to need some new firmware to solve it or BIOS update. It's just incredibly weird how a friend runs the same setup as me and have no issues. I'm really clueless. He might have a different PSU. I have to ask.

garage1217 said:
It is actually your mobo's controller that is not playing nice with the drive. The force GT drive works fantastic itself, but intel boards are notorious for not playing nice with sandforce based drives. Hopefully they and sandforce both will get their crap together. I can say with the sb850 amd boards, ssd drives generally ROCK and are issue free. I know as I am also a force gt 120gb owner on an AMD board :)  The crucial drive is generally a lot better choice on the intel boards however those that have used a drive with big numbers like the 2281 based drives, you can definitely tell a difference in speed, but reliability is #1 so run what you can.

Yes it feels incredibly sad to 'downgrade' so to speak. I really liked the disk and Corsairs firmware update solution but yeah, for me I have to wait till they release something proper.
a c 290 G Storage
August 16, 2011 12:44:55 AM

I am not yet 100% positive but I am beginning to see a pattern of compatability issues with the new Z68 motherboards. We'll have to wait and see what develops.
!