K52j asus cant see hdd during windows 7 install process

wacky17

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Hello,
I have a ASUS K52J laptop, the HDD that was in the uit from new failed. I want to put a new HDD into the laptop - once I do this and start the win 7 install - the HDD is not recognised as part of the install process.
I upgraded the bios to the lastet version from ASUS.
The bios sees the new hdd ok - but windows 7 doesnt. I noticed there is the ability to load drivers in the win 7 install process - but dont know what to load.
I have tried various settings under the bios - such as changing to ide mode. any suggestions please

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Normally the only time you need to load drivers during the install is when the drive is attached to an unusual controller (such as a RAID conroller). I would have thought that it shouldn't be necessary in this case. I don't see any drivers on the ASUS site, so it seems that they don't think they are necessary either.

wacky17

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I checked the new hdd in another pc to ensure it was formatted. It was recognized and formatted in another pc. But when I put the drive into the ASus and went through the win 7 install process it was stll not recognized.
I tried another hdd in the ASus, and it was not recognized either.
I put the original hdd (crashed) and this not working one was recognized but gives heaps of crashing problems.
There must be some driver required ?