xtremegamer2da-max

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
hi guys. pretty soon im gettin a fx-8150 and im gonna try to overclock it an fx-8150 has 8 cores and 3.60 i would like to raise it to at least 4.50 but if its possible to raise it even more id like to do so. so im wondering if it would cost me any money to overclock it, if so how much, and how much money it would take to overclock it. by the way is it safe to overclock? oh and just in case i screw it up i've decided to overclock some intel pentium's that i own

Any particular reason your going for the FX-8150?, generally speaking the Intel corei5 2500K is faster and cheaper.

Anyway no matter what CPU you have if you want a good overclock you'll need an aftermarket CPU cooler
The 8150 is a hot running CPU when overclocked so you'll need a high end CPU cooler. Something like the noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Corsair H100, Alpenföhn K2 Mount Doom or Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler.

Overclocking can be dangerous, it can kill your components, but aslong as you stay within the recommended max voltage and temp limits your CPU will last along time

More voltage and heat = more degradiation and will reduce the life span of the CPU.

There's overclocking guides at the top of the overclocking sub-section of this forum.

All I'm saying is its not the best cooler out there, there are several better options if your budget allows (see my first post).

Why not have a look at some reviews for the Corsair H70 to give you a better idea of its performance. Also its not just the cooler that will effect temps, your rooms ambient temp is important aswell as your PC case's cooling and cable management. Also the amount of voltage your CPU needs for 4.8 - 5Ghz will play a large factor.

Changed your mind on the 8150 then

Most 2600K's will overclock to 4.6Ghz+ with what most people consider safe voltage. obviously every chip is different and won't all overclock to the same level.
I had a pretty bad chip that needed 1.51V for 5Ghz, I wouldn't recommend going over 1.42V for 24/7 use without exotic cooling.

Just a note: The 8150 and the 2600K have completely different architecture so there not comparable by just there clock speed.