Sign in with
Your question

Sony vaio will not boot

Last response: in Windows XP
March 20, 2012 5:41:33 PM

I shut down my vaio laptop earlier today the correct way. When i came to restart it later in the day, it will not boot.
It comes up with the startup repair/start windos normally screen. When i clicked to start windows normally, the bar at the bottom which says microsoft corporation appears for about 1 second and then goes back to the white vaio and the same process is repeated again. I have to use the power button to turn it off. When i restarted the laptop, the same thing happened again, this time i opted for startup repair. Part way through the process, it asked if i wanted to do a system restore, i did this and it said it was sucessfull, upon restart, the laptop still wouldn't start and i was back to square one.
I have even tried to start it in safe mode, but the same thing happens.
Is there any way that i can fix this? or is my laptop completley dead?

More about : sony vaio boot

a b D Laptop
March 20, 2012 7:57:35 PM

cloud99 said:
I shut down my vaio laptop earlier today the correct way. When i came to restart it later in the day, it will not boot.
It comes up with the startup repair/start windos normally screen. When i clicked to start windows normally, the bar at the bottom which says microsoft corporation appears for about 1 second and then goes back to the white vaio and the same process is repeated again. I have to use the power button to turn it off. When i restarted the laptop, the same thing happened again, this time i opted for startup repair. Part way through the process, it asked if i wanted to do a system restore, i did this and it said it was sucessfull, upon restart, the laptop still wouldn't start and i was back to square one.
I have even tried to start it in safe mode, but the same thing happens.
Is there any way that i can fix this? or is my laptop completley dead?

Were you doing repair-install from booting from your windows CD ? If not, go to bios, make CD 1st boot device and boot from CD
March 20, 2012 8:09:06 PM

I don't have a boot CD, i got to the startup repair screen by pressing F8 at startup.
a b D Laptop
March 20, 2012 8:25:31 PM

cloud99 said:
I don't have a boot CD, i got to the startup repair screen by pressing F8 at startup.

Well, you are able to restore in safe mode (f8) so your laptop is not completely dead, but you do have a corrupted OS. Now, if an infections caused the problem to begin with, doing a restore (a recent one) may have just copied the infection back to the OS. If you realize that the further back you go in the restores, the more work reinstalling things you will have, but you might try an older restore point.

Might also try removing all memory sticks, and boot with one stick, then the other to see if memory is failing. Also in safe mode run chkdsk /r on hard drive.
!