Sign in with
Your question

Which of these psus is best?

Last response: in Components
December 24, 2009 4:07:42 PM

I've selected a few power supplies for a system I'm building and I'm trying to decide which to go with. They all make the tier 2 list and they are all 80+ certified.

Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W ATX12V V2.3 80PLUS BRONZE ATI CrossFireX Certified AMD GAME READY FanDelayCool Modular Power Supply - Retail
This unit is 80+ bronze certified and is probably the best out of my selections. Its also the most expensive.

Thermaltake / ToughPower / 750-Watt / ATX / 140mm Fan / SATA Ready / SLI Ready / PFC/EPS / Power Supply / 80Plus
I thought this unit deserved a mention, but I would go with the newegg one since its 80+ bronze.

ENERMAX INFINITI EIN720AWT 720W ATX12V/ EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
For the $5 more, I would probably still get the 80+ bronze toughpower.

ENERMAX Liberty ELT400AWT-ECO 400W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Compatible with Core i7 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
At 400w, this is probably matched a bit closer to the target systems needs. Granted, it may not leave much overhead.

The target system will have a core i5 750, 2x2gb ddr3 ram, wd caviar 750gb hard drive, dvd writer, 2 120mm fans and a very basic video card. Likely a radeon hd 4550 which will not need separate power. While it will probably never happen, I would like to leave the option of adding a good video card open. In my mind, the 80+ bronze toughpower is the best value. However, perhaps its much more than I need. If the 400w is sufficient and reliable, there may be no point in paying extra. What are your thoughts? Also, if someone has a better deal for under $100 please share. Would like to order from tigerdirect or newegg but I'm not totally closed to other places. Thanks ahead of time!

More about : psus

Related resources
December 24, 2009 4:40:32 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. rolli59, that's definitely a good consideration. Since I obviously won't be using the extra power from the toughpower, how much better is the bronze certification? Not sure it's worth $40. As for the corsairs, I saw those last night but was a bit wary because that particular model didn't make the tier 2 list I was using. idk, maybe my list is outdated. It only has the corsair hx and vx. How does corsair stack up to enermax and thermaltake. I appreciate the help. The psu is a key component and I don't want to fowl up here.
a b ) Power supply
December 24, 2009 5:00:39 PM

corsair is and will always be one of the best, the tx series is an inch behind the hx series just without the modular cables
a c 77 ) Power supply
December 24, 2009 5:34:20 PM

spiderdan said:
As for the corsairs, I saw those last night but was a bit wary because that particular model didn't make the tier 2 list I was using. idk, maybe my list is outdated. It only has the corsair hx and vx.

Corsair, Antec (exclude BP), SeaSonic, and PC Power&Cooling are all considered Tier 1 / Tier 2 PSU depending on the model of the specific PSU. Examples; Corsair HX - 1, Corsair TX - 2, Antec SG - 1, Antec EA - 2... Just some examples.

You can't go wrong with purchasing a Corsair PSU!! :D 

December 24, 2009 6:16:23 PM

JackNaylorPE, by that list it looks like the corsair tx is best. These all seem like good psus. I guess the real question is do I buy only what I need, or go all out.
a c 77 ) Power supply
December 24, 2009 6:33:47 PM

I recommend getting what you need to cover future possible upgrades, example; plan to add a 2nd video card down the road, so you need a PSU to cover SLI/Crossfire.
December 24, 2009 7:18:20 PM

So I'm now debating between the thermaltake and corsair 750w units. Found out a few things. The corsair is made by seasonic. The thermaltake is modular while the corsair is not. The thermaltake has greater efficiency, although by only 8%. The corsair advertises Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection while the thermaltake advertises Protections: Over Power, Over Voltage, and Short-Circuit protection. What do you guys think?
a c 77 ) Power supply
December 24, 2009 7:31:11 PM

I would go with the Corsair over Thermaltake any day of the week... :D 
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 24, 2009 8:09:28 PM

spiderdan said:
So I'm now debating between the thermaltake and corsair 750w units. Found out a few things. The corsair is made by seasonic. The thermaltake is modular while the corsair is not. The thermaltake has greater efficiency, although by only 8%. The corsair advertises Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection while the thermaltake advertises Protections: Over Power, Over Voltage, and Short-Circuit protection. What do you guys think?

What Corsair are you talking about ?
Both the TX and HX 750 are built on CWT platforms , as is the Thermaltake.
The Corsair TX and Thermaltake perform similarly with the Corsair HX being the better of the 3 by more than an inch.
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 24, 2009 8:59:17 PM

spiderdan said:
So I'm now debating between the thermaltake and corsair 750w units.

Corsair. The Corsair is very conservatively designed. It can deliver 900 watts and still stay in spec. Not many PSU's can do that.
!