Sign in with
Your question

Memory Overclocking question

Last response: in Overclocking
January 14, 2012 5:39:12 PM

Hiya i got a question about memory overclocking im still kinda new to Overclocking so im not sure if i have my memory timing set correctly or if i even need to mess with them at all...Ok i have a i5 2500k on a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard...ive overclocked the cpu too 4.4ghz by setting the multiplier to x44 and ive OC'd the memory to 1600mhz which is the memorys clock speed...Its Patriot G-Series DDR3 4 x 2GB PC3-12800 (1600mhz) 9-9-9-24, i just changed the system memory multiplier to 16.00.

My question is do i need to mess with changing the timing at all? Right now its at 9-9-9-25 not 9-9-9-24, does this even matter or can i set it even lower? I dont wanna really mess with BLCK or Voltages and the i5 2500k seems to be awesome for that..all ive done is change multipliers and its running very stable 30c idle and 63c under full load using IBT and Prime 95, only getting about 40c or so gaming. Using a Corsair H50 Water cooler. Does everyone sound like its GTG? Or should i change the timings? Right now its set on AUTO for dram timing selectable..Anyways like i said im still very new to OCing this is actually my first build i built myself completely and did all the OCing etc myself. Any help would be appreciated thanks
=)
a b } Memory
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 14, 2012 5:44:55 PM

Well you could try and lower the latency timings, but to be honest there is very little to be gained from doing so.
If you want to eek out all of the performance possible and your really into benching then you may want to try and lower the timings but for the majority of people the time and effort really isn't worth the (very small) performance gains.

you may aswell just go into the BIOS and manually set the timings to 9-9-9-24 as that is what its rated for.

:) 
!