Closed

Dell XPS M1330 (laptop) motherboard short

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Laptops
  • Dell Studio Xps
Last response: in Motherboards
March 26, 2010 8:20:57 PM

I went to plug the AC adapter in my M1330 and it turned off, while the adapter's light turned off. I found out that motherboard shorted somewhere. Dell wants to charge $500 to replace it. I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard myself, but this seems like a common problem with M1330 motherboards. Many "experts" on eBay offer to fix this problem. I'm wondering if they just replace a part on the motherboard, and what that is, because if repairing it just means replacing an easily available part, I can do that. Does anyone know if I can do that?

More about : dell xps m1330 laptop motherboard short

a c 435 V Motherboard
March 27, 2010 10:54:29 AM

I would limit yourself to about $100 for a repair or replacement board (used). Anything more and it's probably more cost effective to get a new laptop and transfer your hardrive files over to the new system.
Score
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2010 2:20:41 PM

o1die said:
I would limit yourself to about $100 for a repair or replacement board (used). Anything more and it's probably more cost effective to get a new laptop and transfer your hardrive files over to the new system.

I totally agree, and your not likely to find one that cheap that is guaranteed to work, and even then they will say you did something wrong if it dont work.
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2010 1:03:05 AM

Hi,

We at htttp://www.techno-mart.co.uk fix this problem all the time. The issue is with one or two of the power curcuit components blowing. It is difficult to diagnose the problem as we need to check all the diodes and mosfets. We normally charge £129 - no fix - no fee and about 90% of the boards are repaired.

Raj
Score
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
October 18, 2010 8:49:57 PM

renzhe said:
I went to plug the AC adapter in my M1330 and it turned off, while the adapter's light turned off. I found out that motherboard shorted somewhere. Dell wants to charge $500 to replace it. I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard myself, but this seems like a common problem with M1330 motherboards. Many "experts" on eBay offer to fix this problem. I'm wondering if they just replace a part on the motherboard, and what that is, because if repairing it just means replacing an easily available part, I can do that. Does anyone know if I can do that?

Did you ever solve this problem or did you just get a new laptop?? This exact thing has happened my M1330 and I'm wondering what my best options are...
Score
October 20, 2010 1:47:39 AM

My friend has the same problem with his M1530. There is a serparate miniboard with the AC jack. Anybody have luck replacing just this?
Score

Best solution

October 30, 2010 11:06:09 AM

renzhe said:

Just had the same problem with my M1330 - after pulling it apart and checking with a lab supply and our thermal imaging camera from work I traced the problem to cracked and shorted Ceramic cap C10. It's located near the connector for the battery charger board. Replaced it with another 10uF cap and it's all up and running again
November 10, 2010 11:14:20 PM

Best answer selected by renzhe.
Score
a c 136 V Motherboard
a c 244 D Laptop
November 11, 2010 11:25:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!