Updating Dell Dimension 4550 Motherboard

BNunley

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
I'm a newbie at computer part upgrade, so with limited knowledge I wanted to upgrade my dell's motherboard to one with a PCI-e port. Unfortunately I've just noticed that the old motherboard is attached to a tray. Is it still possible to attach my new Asus motherboard inside the dell case? There is no screw holes only places for the motherboard tray to slide in. And also the motherboard tray is too small to hold the Asus if that was a possible route. This may seem like a duh question - but do I need just to get a new case? :pfff:

Solution
No problem. Looking at the new board there isn't alot you can transfer from the old computer to the new one. Your CPU uses 478 socket not the lga 775 that the asus uses so no matter what some one says about Pentium 4 working on 775 keep in mind it's a different specification. Also your RAM memory won't work with the new board ( again wrong dimm slot type). So if you really wanted to make the board work you would have to buy a new case and most the internal components. Witch might not be a bad idea then you would have a better computer more impotently the computer you have now has a lot of miles on it and no matter how much we hate it eventually everything breaks down. You might buy a new board for this computer just to have something...
If you've never changed out a motherboard before, I don't recommend upgrading the dell. Most new oem systems use a standard atx or micro atx board; you'll see some after xmas sales. My local frys has complete systems with windows 7 starting at $249. Just leave the dell intact; sell it or use it for a spare.

imannotu

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
The first thing we need to know is the asus model #. Second what you need to know is that mother boards all conform to what is known as the "Form Factor". The form factor for your computer is microATX (9.60 inches by 8.20 inches [233.68 millimeters by 208.28 millimeters]). If the asus is bigger than that then no it will not fit. If it dose however then all you need to do is disconnect the old board and push the two tabs on each side down and slide the tray out. Then take off the old board and put the new one on the tray ( there are at least 4 screws holding it to the tray), slide it in the comp. and attach all things you detached to get the old board out.

BNunley

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

Thanks for replying. The Asus motherboard is huge. It's the P5Q Pro Turbo. Would it be better just to get a new ATX case and see what parts I can carry over from the dell? Or return the Asus and go for a microATX motherboard?

imannotu

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
No problem. Looking at the new board there isn't alot you can transfer from the old computer to the new one. Your CPU uses 478 socket not the lga 775 that the asus uses so no matter what some one says about Pentium 4 working on 775 keep in mind it's a different specification. Also your RAM memory won't work with the new board ( again wrong dimm slot type). So if you really wanted to make the board work you would have to buy a new case and most the internal components. Witch might not be a bad idea then you would have a better computer more impotently the computer you have now has a lot of miles on it and no matter how much we hate it eventually everything breaks down. You might buy a new board for this computer just to have something else go out.

On the other hand if you are going for an economy upgrade you could go with just upgrading the board. If I were you I would go with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138079

It would drop right in to your computer and you can use your original equipment and it gives you two sata 1.5 gb connectors so it would also be compatible with newer and faster hard drives and a pci x 16 and a pci x 1 witch is an upgrade from what you have now. The bad news though is your RAM won't work so you would have to get one of these combos.

512 mb. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146521

1 gb. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146524

2 gb. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146526

4 gb. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148111

I personally wouldn't go with less than 2 gbs. of system memory but that is up to you any of them would work.

Just wondering how fast is your CPU?

Solution

imannotu

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
also I forgot to mention that the power connector on that board is 24 pin and your power connector is a 20 pin because it is a dell. So you would have to get a new power supply unit. I'll post in a couple of mins with what I find.

My recommendation is based on a cost effective solution. Your dell can be upgraded, but you'll spend more on individual parts and end up with leftover dell parts to sell. Check craigslist for dell systems; you might find a newer dell board that will fit. Frys has a sempron compaq system Saturday for $249. Don't forget memory costs if you buy another board; for an atx case, newegg and frys have the antec 300 for around $55 shipped, and frys stores only has the antec 900 for $55 after $25 rebate Saturday only.

BNunley

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks o1die and imannotu for replying. I might as well go the new case route - I've actually got some parts for Xmas. Along with the Asus P5Q Turbo, I've got an Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 and a Geforce 9800 GT graphics card. I'm actually looking at Kingston Ram 2 GB (which was in the instruction manual as compatible) and the Coolermaster Gladiator 600 Mid Tower box to buy now.
I'm actually curious about building a computer from scratch - so even if it costs more I'm going to try to slowly put one together - learning on the way.

imannotu

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Hey that is great news. I learned most of what I know the same way. You gotta learn it somewhere. Since your keeping the asus board your dell power supply won't work. Might I suggest another?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2677A/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

o1die turned me on to this 750w ( major props to o1die for that thanks ) and I've been putting it through it's paces for 4 days now and it has proven to be as a rock solid unit as Corsair usually is. It has long cables so it definitely will reach around your VGA card. And enough sata and molex connectors to actually make use of all those 3.5 and 5.25 drive bays. Also it is wispier quiet I can barely even hear it. If you don't need that many watts then the other power supplys in this line are also reasonably priced and on sale. I gave you two links to the same thing because usually one store will have a $10 rebate and the other will have $20.

P.S. If you want to post a link to the ram you are looking at that would be cool.

P.S.S. That is a real cool case you are looking at.

P.S.S.S. I have a very similar set-up hardware wise to yours.

BNunley

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

Well for my RAM choice - I went through the compatible RAMs and picked one at random. I have the Kingston 2GB. Oh and the 750w Corsair is what I just picked out - my 400w obviously wasn't enough. Everything is finally setup in my *new pc* physically but now I'm having issues with Windows XP setup not detecting my hard drive so now I have to go forum-posting again! lol.