Accessing a Network With MAC Restriction

gwhmoss

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Hi everyone,

I recently built a new Win7 computer and am having some trouble connecting it to my existing network. The network has no encryption (not good, I know), but has a MAC restriction list set up (no idea what the correct term for this is). My old computer was on this list, and I've attempted to spoof it's MAC address. I'm able to change the address according to ipconfig /all, but I still can't connect to the network.

The reason I can't just add this new computer to the list (and add encryption) is my Dad is in charge of the router, and he has forgotten it's password. So he'd have to reset the entire router to redo these things, which is something he's very hesitant to do, because he had to call up verizon tech support last time :p

Thanks in advance.

G

Well, if dad has forgotten the router setup login password, reset is probably the easiest option. First see if Verizon's website has help on settings, which will save calling support.

When he's in there tell him to turn off MAC restriction list -- as you've realised, it's not very secure and it can cause problems.