Solved

New build keeps shutting off!!!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2009 12:20:38 AM

HELP, please! My system keeps randomly shutting off. There's no stuttering or error before, it just shuts off as if I hit the main power switch on the back of the power supply. When I go to turn it back on, I notice the motherboard's green power LED is not on. It randomly came back on after the first shut down, but not now. I installed a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 and the base drivers (so i can use it with Media Center). Everything with that has been working fine, though.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Core i7 920 @2.67 GHz
6 GB Tripple Channel DDR3 @1066 MHz (OCZ platinum)
Ultra X3 1000 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB hard drive

Is it my power supply?

More about : build shutting

Best solution

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2009 12:51:12 AM

Full specs please.

Case &fans
GPU
etc.

Have you also monitored for heat?

CPU-Z
Real Temp
HWMonitor

While the X3 is the top of the line Ultra model, the company has been getting a poorer rep lately. Could be the PSU.

Then again there are other things to rule out, including a short on or under your MB, overheating, space aliens (damn them anyway, they stole my cat).
a b B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2009 12:56:59 AM

1> Is the power cable loose? Do you have another power cable you could swap out?

2> Where is the power cable plugged into? A wall, surge supressor or UPS?
It could be a failing or overtaxed UPS or bad power coming from the wall.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2009 1:06:48 AM

Case - Cooler Master Storm Sniper Mid-tower case
Two 200 mm fans, two 120 mm fans

GPU - 4870X2

MOBO - Intel DX58SO Motherboard

A Pioneer DVD drive

And I've been monitoring temperature with RealTemp. My CPU hasn't gone above 35 C since I installed my Cooler Master V8 last week. The motherboard temperature and ambient temperatures were around 32 C when I checked the bios last.

How will I know if it's the motherboard being shorted? Will too much experimentation with causing it to turn off damage my motherboard/components?

It's plugged into a surge protector along with my monitor, printer, speakers, modem, and router
m
l
October 7, 2009 1:16:42 AM

You could breadboard the build, as linked and described here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-build-post-...

You might want to check the MB temp(s) as well though. HWMonitor should get you those and that would rule out an overheating chipset.

It really does sound more like a power issue though. PSU, modular cables, external power cable, AC power at wall.

In fact, you should inspect both ends of the modular cables for scorching too.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2009 1:33:18 AM

Oh lawd :o , this sounds like trouble. The BIOS had motherboard temperature at around 32.

I guess I'll read this breadboarding guide.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2009 3:02:15 AM

I couldn't turn my computer back on until I disconnected the power cord from the surge protector and power supply and then reconnected it. Just FYI. Does this confirm power supply?
m
l
October 7, 2009 3:21:50 AM

It sounds as if circuit protection in the PSU is being triggered... beyond that I can't say. Swapping out the PSU would be the best way to test.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2009 4:55:27 PM

Swap out the power cord and surge protector, either of those could be damaged.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2009 12:40:24 AM

Okay, I'm using a Corsair HX1000 now and everything's fine. Hopefully, it will stay that way. Thanks for the help. If all goes well, you won't see me back in this thread, lol!
m
l
!