NEW gaming system YAY!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 7, 2009 1:26:59 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am planning my first build (so nervous), I am here to ask for some advice.

This is what I have planned so far.

I am planning on ordering everything this week (the sooner the better).

BUDGET RANGE: (1900$ - 2200$)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Gaming, Watching movies)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers)

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: (www.newegg.ca)

PARTS PREFERENCES: (Do not care, it's about quality and performance, I could care less who makes it).

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe like I said this is my first build, so I want to try it but I want to build it first (and if I don't screw up then we'll see) ^_^

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes but that would be at a later point in time, I think it would cost more than what I could afford at this time, go with 1 for now that is fairly high end then later on get another one.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: No Idea I am setting it up on my TV, so I'll have to test it, but it's 37'' LCD Sharp with 1080i, for whatever that's worth.

I have picked out most of the stuff I am looking for but I would appreciate

1) Will it work as is?
2) What can be done to better it (price/performance)

Thanks ahead ^_^

Here we go:

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I want a medium sized case unsure if everything will fit in this one >.<

EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I want a x58, something that will allow crossfire/SLI and that overclocks easily later on

SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail

I really like this video card, it also comes with 2 games ^_^

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Cheapest PSU I could find, and on johnnyguru's website it had a 9.5 (I would like to know if anyone is using it/thinks about it)

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

I want this processor everything else can change this can't

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

I am unsure about which ram Ram but i want 3 x 2GB of DDR3.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

I want Two of these and they shall be setup in Raid 0, coincidentally if someone could give me and link as to how to set that up that would be great thanks ^_^

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM

Thinking about blue-ray burner, not sure depends on price

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

This is something I am quite concerned about, as I want Windows 7 (which is going to have direct X 11) however I am not sure about the upgrade process. I don't have to just upgrade as that can cause trouble from my understanding I want a CD (which would help in a restart if necessary) I would like to know what is the upgrade process.

wow... that was long.

This is the things I am thinking about, I would like to know what everyone thinks about the build thus far and if you have any recommendations for either price or performance (keep in mind the budget). I would appreciate any link to newegg be newegg.ca (Canadian one) to make sure I have correct price.

PS: I am not sure I posted properly if any admin could check I want to make sure I am doing this right. lol

More about : gaming system yay

Best solution

October 7, 2009 1:44:27 AM

While Rosewill is normally a name to avoid you have done your research and concluded correctly that it's a good deal, this time.

This Asus board has PCI-E slots that are better spaced, allowing for more air between the GPUs. It's also a newer model and costs less:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

The 640GB version of the Caviar Black is faster. Has to do with platter size and density:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Also the Samsung spinpoint F3 is getting good reviews at 500GB:

The RAM is a good budget choice. OCZ platinum would be fater but costs a good bit more:
October 7, 2009 2:35:28 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply Proximon. I will look into those and update accordingly. I am worried about my case i am not sure if it will be big enough for what i am putting in does anyone have any recommendations
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 7, 2009 2:55:59 AM

It only looks small in the pictures. It's BIG. Really big. Same size as the HAF.

If you want something that is actually bigger, you'll have to pay for it...
Lian Li
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
(Only about an inch bigger each way and actually narrower)

There really aren't too many quality cases that are bigger.
m
l
October 7, 2009 7:14:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I think i am ready to order. Willget the ram and the mobo you mentioned. ^_^
m
l