Sign in with
Your question

GA-MA785GM-US2H Power Requirements

Last response: in Motherboards
March 27, 2010 12:50:19 AM

Hello,

I'm looking to build a new setup for my sister with an Athlon X2 630 quad core and a GA-MA785GM-US2H MB. I plan on running 2 1TB drives in raid 1 and possible 1-2 DVD drives, 2 sticks of DDR2 memory and 1 120mm fan on a 450W BFG power supply. I've read in the documentation that 500W is recommended but calculating this using eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite I'm getting around 220W. Will I be ok with this MB and the components that I've listed?

Also we have a old Maxtop ATX case I can reuse for the new setup. The only problem is that the front panel was and I believe is a USB 1 interface. Can I hook up the front panel to the USB 2.0 ports on the MB or will that ruin the MB?

Thanks,
Nick
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 27, 2010 1:00:55 AM

Plenty of oomph, especially if you're never expecting to toss in a hefty graphics card...
m
l
March 27, 2010 1:04:24 AM

npolite said:
Hello,

I'm looking to build a new setup for my sister with an Athlon X2 630 quad core and a GA-MA785GM-US2H MB. I plan on running 2 1TB drives in raid 1 and possible 1-2 DVD drives, 2 sticks of DDR2 memory and 1 120mm fan on a 450W BFG power supply. I've read in the documentation that 500W is recommended but calculating this using eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite I'm getting around 220W. Will I be ok with this MB and the components that I've listed?

Thanks,
Nick

Heres a link to a PSU Calculator:

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html?Tp...

Your current hardware above requires a:

You need at least a 388W

What you have up top will be fine! Trust me.

You will be okay as long as your NOT trying to run a high end graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2010 1:05:29 AM

bilbat said:
Plenty of oomph, especially if you're never expecting to toss in a hefty graphics card...

Thanks for the info...no plan on doing more than web/photo editing on the intergrated video.
m
l
March 27, 2010 1:07:31 AM

npolite said:
Thanks for the info...no plan on doing more than web/photo editing on the intergrated video.

That veteran above me beat me to the punch by 12seconds lol.
m
l
March 27, 2010 2:34:05 AM

SHANEMARINES said:
That veteran above me beat me to the punch by 12seconds lol.

lol I appreciate anyone who responds back :) 
m
l
March 27, 2010 5:33:08 AM

npolite said:
lol I appreciate anyone who responds back :) 

Ya...

Thanks man.

So did this solve your problem or do you have any other or more specfic questions?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 27, 2010 12:28:34 PM

Old gunfighters have good reflexes - or they wouldn't get old [:bilbat:6]
m
l
March 27, 2010 1:30:30 PM

Yeah everything hopefully will be good...I was just asking before pulling the trigger on the purchase
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 27, 2010 1:40:05 PM

Quote:
I was just asking before pulling the trigger on the purchase

Always a noble idea! [:bilbat:5] If more people 'did their homework' before 'pulling the trigger' on their credit card - there'd be fewer problems posted here; and, once they have your money, it's infinitely harder to 'pry it loose!'

My policy is: download and read every manual for every considered purchase - and if the manufacturer can't be 'bothered' to post a decent manual, I can't be 'bothered' to send 'em money!
m
l
March 29, 2010 3:03:50 AM

npolite said:
Yeah everything hopefully will be good...I was just asking before pulling the trigger on the purchase

Tell us how it goes and if you have anymore questions just post them on here.
m
l
!