Lost My Pictures folder. HELP!

smozolevskiy

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hello, everyone! I really need your help. Here is the story. I've partitioned my hards drive with Acronis Disk director 11 Home edition. After the restart Windows tried to recover the system, because it wouldn't boot into windows. I run the acronis Disk 11 boot cd and partitioned the hard drive again. after I've installed Win 7 on a new partition, so I could boot into windows and backup all my files onto another hard drive and then combine 2 partitions, format it, install Win 7 and then copy all my files onto a fresh Win 7 and already combined 2 partitions into 1 Hard drive. After I've installed a Win 7 onto a new partition, I went onto my old partition and went to Users/Name/ to see if my files are still there. All files are there (music, docs, programs etc.) EXCEPT My Pictures folder. Basically all my Photos have been lost for some reason, and now I am panicing and don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP! Thank You!

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
try using a livecd version of Ubuntu to search your hard drives, sometimes linux can find lost files that way. Should take all of 20 minutes to download and burn disk with a good internet connection.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
i'm sure i'm not the only one who got lost trying to follow what you did, but obviously not backing up your important data before going thru that gongshow is where you went wrong.

assuming the data that is the pictures haven't been overwritten during this 'procedure' they can be recovered. there are plenty of data recovery programs out there, google to find one.
just remember to leave the HDD your pictures were on alone! installing/running anything on that drive increases the chance the part of the HDD where your pictures may be of getting overwritten, and once they get overwritten you're SOL.

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Control Panel > Folder Options > View > Show Hidden Files. Browse the directory as an administrator.

A LiveCD Version of linux ought be-able to pull up the drive and view the files on it. You will have to enable show hidden files there as well.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
linux was the first option i would try as it will be free
data recovery is your final option as it will probably cost you money and still isn't a guarantee as that if you have overwritten your data, it is lost unless you are rich and want to pay a professional company to find it as the only way to erase all your data is to physically destroy the hard drive.

jpidata

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Try Getdataback, easy to use and powerful for recover data

if the data is very important for you, I strongly encourage you send all drives to a professional data recovery company before all chances of recovery are lost.

www.ontrack.com
www.timdatarecovery.com