Cloning

Hi everyone!
Could you please advise me for the following:
I use Casper XP to clone my hard disks to get a back-up. It has proven to be useful with my PC because, when it crashed, I simply physically replaced the crashed hard disk by the clone and I could restart to work immediately.
The same way, I also used to clone my portable (say P) to get a clone as a back-up (say Q). Now, I want to use a new, different portable (say R). I would love to clone Q to R to hopefully get everything I had on my old portable P onto the new one R. But I guess it is not going to work because, when cloning Q to R, I erase all the original R disk, including what is needed for the portable to function (stuff related to the motherboard screen, etc -sorry I know nothing there :( ). Or is there a possibility ?

Thanks for advising.

France.
2 answers Last reply
More about cloning
  1. You can't clone an image from one computer model to another and have it work properly. Some may, but will at least ask you for a bunch of new drivers. Others just won't boot.

It's possible but takes a lot of work to configure. You'll need to clone the drive of the new laptop to have a backup for it.
  2. hang-the-9 said:
    You can't clone an image from one computer model to another and have it work properly. Some may, but will at least ask you for a bunch of new drivers. Others just won't boot.

It's possible but takes a lot of work to configure. You'll need to clone the drive of the new laptop to have a backup for it.

Hi Hang-the-9.

OK, it seemed logical to me, but I had a little hope.... If I want to try anyway, I could indeed first clone the new laptop before.
    It seems that any solution will take quite some time. On top of that, I would like to recreate, as much as I can, my usual work environment.

In any case, thank you for your help :) !

France.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Hard Drives Windows XP