France43

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Hi everyone!
Could you please advise me for the following:
I use Casper XP to clone my hard disks to get a back-up. It has proven to be useful with my PC because, when it crashed, I simply physically replaced the crashed hard disk by the clone and I could restart to work immediately.
The same way, I also used to clone my portable (say P) to get a clone as a back-up (say Q). Now, I want to use a new, different portable (say R). I would love to clone Q to R to hopefully get everything I had on my old portable P onto the new one R. But I guess it is not going to work because, when cloning Q to R, I erase all the original R disk, including what is needed for the portable to function (stuff related to the motherboard screen, etc -sorry I know nothing there :( ). Or is there a possibility ?

Thanks for advising.

France.

You can't clone an image from one computer model to another and have it work properly. Some may, but will at least ask you for a bunch of new drivers. Others just won't boot.

It's possible but takes a lot of work to configure. You'll need to clone the drive of the new laptop to have a backup for it.

France43

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Hi Hang-the-9.

OK, it seemed logical to me, but I had a little hope.... If I want to try anyway, I could indeed first clone the new laptop before.
It seems that any solution will take quite some time. On top of that, I would like to recreate, as much as I can, my usual work environment.

In any case, thank you for your help :) !

France.