heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
runescape is a game that is hard to run at 50fps everywhere on max (and is apparently impossible anyway)

but im thinking because the i7 sandybridge has a better architecture compared to my E6700 (3.2 ghz oc'd to 3.85 i can get 50 fps in some places with AA off because i dont see any difference other then a lower framerate)
is it possible to disable all but one core (you can do that right? i know amd did that with the... sempron i think) of an i7 (runescape is single thread/core/??? only it seems) but keep the hyperthreading (so basicly its a single core i7 with hyperthreading so 2 threads) and then overclock it as high as it can take

/theory craft behind the disableing of cores
runescape uses one core
im sure that one core would also heat up the other cores a bit so with just one core active it stays cooler so higher speeds can be reached before the heat kills it
the HT is to be kept so all processes that can will be moved to the second thread to give runescape most of the first thread to play around on

at the end of all that we have a single core i7 clocked as high as it can take just so we can play runescape with near max fps in many places :pfff: - there i said it for you :sol:

Yes you can disable all but 1 core, not tried it with hyperthreading still on, should work fine though.

You may gain a few hundred more Mhz by doing so, seems like a big waste of money to me, and if you use your PC for anything other than Runeshit you'd have to go back into the BIOS, enable the cores,and decrease the overclock... if you want the performance you paid for.

Surely a Core i5/i7 @4.6Ghz is enough for Runeshit?

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
according to my friend (he has an i5 2500k overclocked to something silly cant remember what) he cant hit 50 fps on max graphics :/

and yes runescape is a bit *** these days <.< i hardly play cause its all click click fuken click :(

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
it appears runescape does not utilise graphics card much some people say it does but after testing on 3 different set ups the only thing a graphics card helps with is the aero theme

and after testing yesterday java.exe says its using 80% of my processor but if i limit it to one core it drops to 50% but fps goes no where

Apparently Runeshit uses DirectX when you run the game on high settings so your graphics card will be important, its not all run on Javascript.

See if your friend will let you mess around with his PC for a few hours to test some theories:

To see how Runeshit is effected by graphics processing power you could underclock his graphics card, play runeshit and see if the framerate has dropped.

You could also disable all but 1 core and see how much more you can overclock.