Sign in with
Your question

Could Mcafee be messing with my gaming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2009 8:36:18 PM

Basically Whenever I play both Crysis and FarCry 2 (and currently only these two games) I get about an hour into either game and then they just crash, they will either go black and then take me back to the desktop or freeze up and all I can do is hold the restart button. I've tried so many different ways to fix this, checked temperatures, reinstalled the programs, turned down the graphics, even installed newest drivers but nothing made it stop. Now I'm thinking that McAfee could maybe be the issue? Can anyone help me with this?

My Specs
- Raidmax Sagitta 2 w/ 3 x 120MM fans
- 700W Rocketfish ATX 12V 2.2 PSU
- Crossfire 2 x ATI XFX HD4850 512MB
- Phenom II x4 940 3.0Ghz w/ Thermaltake SpinQ heatsink
- 8.00GB Corsair DDR2 800
- ASROCK A780GXE/128M Mobo
- 1TB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm 32mb cache.
- 2 x Sony DVD/RW 24X
- Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium
- 1680x1050 Acer P201W monitor

P.S. as far as it goes my setup should play these games on Max grahpics very very smoothly, but I get a quite a bit of lag in both games as well, could this also be McAfee?

More about : mcafee messing gaming

October 20, 2009 8:41:50 PM

Hmmm, could be your power supply... Ive never heard of that make? Is it a good quality PSU?

Do you have to use adapters to plug into the graphics card??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2009 9:37:07 PM

Well if you disable your McAfee from the taskbar then no it has nothing to do with it. What are your CPU and GPU temps after an hour of gaming?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2009 10:07:53 PM

Just under 50 degrees celsius on both GPU's and CPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2009 10:56:31 PM

Then its not your temps. Have you set your timings and voltage for your RAM?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2009 11:04:01 PM

With good temps, McAffee off, it happening in two different games, and being an hour or so down the road before it happens, it sorta seems like a memory issue.

Could either be an instability in the memory timings (like OvrClkr alluded too) or even a RAM dimm with a bad spot in it that doesn't always get used. Also, if your CPU is OC'd, it can remain pretty stable and then randomly freeze things up if it isn't truly 100% rock solid stable. It won't always hiccup right away.
m
l
!