• Heat
  • Fan
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 15, 2012 6:25:30 PM

Hello -

Just put together my new rig.

I have a Scythe SCMG-3000 120mm Heat Pipe CPU Cooler - I've never used an after-market CPU cooler before.

Wondering where to mount the fan on this bad boy? I was hoping to provide a picture, but when I click on insert image, it asks for a URL and I don't have a URL of the picture of my case.

Hope this makes sense without a picture:

Option A - Should the fan blow the air through the heat sink fins - directly above the cooler is an exhaust fan blowing out the top of the case - so in this case, the fan would be mounted below the CPU, pushing air upwards.

Option B - Or should the fan mount on top of the heat sink fins, placing it about four inches from the top exhaust fan, placing the fan above the CPU, pushing air upwards.

Initially I had Option B, with the thought of the fan sucking heat produced by the fins and blowing it up into the exhaust, but the picture on the box shows the fan blowing through the heat sink, hence my question on Option A.

Also, the Scythe fan is only running at about 400 rpms - will this increase if the CPU is stressed? Have not run any stress tests yet - this just seems like a very low RPM.

Thank you for your help!

KT

Here is my build:

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

GPU - 580 GTX

MEMORY - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model

HD 1 - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HD 2 - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

PS - Antec CP-850 850W

CPU COOLER - Scythe SCMG-3000 120mm Heat Pipe CPU Cooler

OPTICAL DRIVE - ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive

CASE - Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

More about : mount fan scythe scmg 3000 120mm heat pipe cpu coole

a b à CPUs
a c 126 K Overclocking
January 15, 2012 6:52:21 PM

You'll want the cooler mounted sideways with the fan mounted nearest the RAM blowing air through the heatsink towards the rear of the case.

This will offer the most effective cooling provided cold air enters your case at the bottom/front and warm air is pushed out of the top/rear of the case.

EDIT: oh to post an image you'll need to use an image hosting website like imageshack.us, once uploaded you can copy the URL and use IMG tags.
m
l
January 15, 2012 7:09:50 PM

Thanks - here is the image:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/whereshouldimo...

I think the way it's designed, it can only be mounted on the top or the bottom (right now the fan is on the top) - Also, I don't think I can turn it another way as this would put the side of the heat sink against the top fan.

I'm thinking if I mount the fan on the bottom, and have air blown through the top, this will pull hot air from the heat sink as well as the GPU and allow it to exhaust at the top of the case.

Would you agree?

KT
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 126 K Overclocking
January 15, 2012 7:15:16 PM

Thanks for the image

Just having a look through google images and can see plenty of people have mounted it 90 degree's clockwise to how you have it so its possible.

The only issue I see with how you have it mounted at the moment is the fan will be sucking warm air from your graphics card which will increase your CPU temp
m
l
!