How does a dedicated sound card improve sound quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

student_sol

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hi. To my surprise, I've just found out that there are dedicated sound cards, just like dedicated video card. Not many people seem to buy them though. Is there any noticeable improvement in audio quality getting a dedicated sound card? All I can tell is that they offer more features such as 7.1 surround, etc... Which is pretty useless for an ordinary guy like me. However if a dedicated sound card has a better amp, I may consider getting one. I am by no means an audiophile, but nonetheless enjoy listening to clean (as in "less distorted") music. I don't care much about the output power as I only listen to headphones. Is it worth spending cash for a decent dedicated sound card? Thanks.

DuckyCrayfish

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
wow almost no answers, and the one answer isnt very good.....
lol sorry bout that student :p
i dont have my own sound card, but im going to get one.

sound cards dont only make better quality, but they also have more features and takes off some stress on the cpu.

i was talking to some people, and they say a good sound card is just as important as good speakers, and that bad soundcard+good speakers=good soundcard+badspeakers

i would just use the integrated sound, and if you don't like the quality be prepared to spend quite a bit to get a decent sound card that is enough of an improvement to be worth it

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008

You failed to read the OP's post. The OP specifically asked if a dedicated sound card had an amplifier. Re-read his post.

Nothing screams 19 year old kid like this statement. Once upon a time you HAD to have a sound card if you wanted anything other than beeps and garble.

DuckyCrayfish

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

well, depending on how much he likes technology, and it seems he does if he knows what a gfx card is and is looking for a sound card, it seems even younger then 19 :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.