Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How does a dedicated sound card improve sound quality?

Last response: in Components
Share
December 25, 2009 9:34:02 AM

Hi. To my surprise, I've just found out that there are dedicated sound cards, just like dedicated video card. Not many people seem to buy them though. Is there any noticeable improvement in audio quality getting a dedicated sound card? All I can tell is that they offer more features such as 7.1 surround, etc... Which is pretty useless for an ordinary guy like me. However if a dedicated sound card has a better amp, I may consider getting one. I am by no means an audiophile, but nonetheless enjoy listening to clean (as in "less distorted") music. I don't care much about the output power as I only listen to headphones. Is it worth spending cash for a decent dedicated sound card? Thanks.

More about : dedicated sound card improve sound quality

December 25, 2009 11:19:37 AM

Better Amp=Output power... And no a dedicated video card won't provide that, you get that based on which type of speaker setup you purchase.
m
0
l
April 19, 2010 9:04:06 PM

wow almost no answers, and the one answer isnt very good.....
lol sorry bout that student :p 
i dont have my own sound card, but im going to get one.

sound cards dont only make better quality, but they also have more features and takes off some stress on the cpu.

i was talking to some people, and they say a good sound card is just as important as good speakers, and that bad soundcard+good speakers=good soundcard+badspeakers
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2010 12:55:34 AM

student_sol said:
Hi. To my surprise, I've just found out that there are dedicated sound cards, just like dedicated video card. Not many people seem to buy them though. Is there any noticeable improvement in audio quality getting a dedicated sound card? All I can tell is that they offer more features such as 7.1 surround, etc... Which is pretty useless for an ordinary guy like me. However if a dedicated sound card has a better amp, I may consider getting one. I am by no means an audiophile, but nonetheless enjoy listening to clean (as in "less distorted") music. I don't care much about the output power as I only listen to headphones. Is it worth spending cash for a decent dedicated sound card? Thanks.


i would just use the integrated sound, and if you don't like the quality be prepared to spend quite a bit to get a decent sound card that is enough of an improvement to be worth it
m
0
l
April 20, 2010 1:01:23 AM

DuckyCrayfish said:
wow almost no answers, and the one answer isnt very good.....
lol sorry bout that student :p 
i dont have my own sound card, but im going to get one.

sound cards dont only make better quality, but they also have more features and takes off some stress on the cpu.

i was talking to some people, and they say a good sound card is just as important as good speakers, and that bad soundcard+good speakers=good soundcard+badspeakers



You failed to read the OP's post. The OP specifically asked if a dedicated sound card had an amplifier. Re-read his post.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2010 1:17:40 AM

You all realize this thread is from 2009 I doubt the OP is responding to this any time soon....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2010 1:20:03 AM

saaiello said:
You all realize this thread is from 2009 I doubt the OP is responding to this any time soon....


One neva know. hehe.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2010 1:22:35 AM

saaiello said:
You all realize this thread is from 2009 I doubt the OP is responding to this any time soon....


partly my bad, whoops
m
0
l
April 20, 2010 4:00:23 AM

Just shows you how relevant Tomshardware is.
m
0
l
April 20, 2010 4:29:49 AM

student_sol said:
Hi. To my surprise, I've just found out that there are dedicated sound cards, just like dedicated video card.


Nothing screams 19 year old kid like this statement. Once upon a time you HAD to have a sound card if you wanted anything other than beeps and garble.
m
0
l
April 20, 2010 4:34:39 AM

FALC0N said:
Nothing screams 19 year old kid like this statement. Once upon a time you HAD to have a sound card if you wanted anything other than beeps and garble.


well, depending on how much he likes technology, and it seems he does if he knows what a gfx card is and is looking for a sound card, it seems even younger then 19 :lol: 
m
0
l
!