What ram do chose

bananasdoom

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
I am building a new system and am unsure what memory to chose I have already chosen to go with; Corsair HX3X12G1600C9 12GB (6x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) , I am just wondering if I should go with less memory at a higher speed.

Thanks Rhys

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Most high-end users can't exceed 6GB, but a few percent can. If you don't know, you're probably not in that few percent. And faster RAM won't make your performance improve. Either way you're most likely blowing your money on no gains whatsoever.

bananasdoom

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010

granted I have been using my pc for pc labs while for work and studies, so I know that I will need a minimum of 6gb of ram because I have been having problems running more than 4 VM's on my pc. I don't understand how faster ram will not improve my performance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

If you already know that you can top out 6GB, get 12GB. And then read some reviews, faster RAM doesn't help performance noticeably. Patrick Schmid even wrote a full article that showed DDR3-1600 has no noticeable performance benefit over DDR3-1333. The rest of your system is simply too slow to use the extra bandwidth of faster RAM.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
If you can blow through 4 GB of ram, it might be worth just getting the 12 just in case. You could get 6 GB now, and hope it gets you there, and if it ends up not being enough get another 6 later as well- might be a way to verify that you don't waste it.