Overloaded Neighborhood?????

I've been reading where a neighborhood can get too large and get ruined.
Has this happened to anybody in here? This doesn't make sense! Of
course, I won't have this problem because I always start over with each
EP. LOL But, since Sims 2 was suppose to be about generations and lots
of people play the game that way, seems like this glitch, if it is one,
is a very bad one until they get a patch out.

deene
9 answers Last reply
More about overloaded neighborhood

    Yes, something to do with too many character files, see this thread at
    my favourite website:
    http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=45.0 entitled "So
    what is an overpopulated neighbourhood anyway?"

    I've not seen it myself, but then I don't seem to play as much as some
    people and haven't gotten to that critical point yet. It's apparently
    one reason why downloading houses with families, and moving families
    between neighbourhoods is a bad idea.

    Pescado says: "Trouble reportedly sets in sometime past the 800 mark"

    ~*~
    vecki

    "vecki" <vecsta02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, something to do with too many character files, see this thread at
    > my favourite website:
    > http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=45.0 entitled
    > "So
    > what is an overpopulated neighbourhood anyway?"
    >
    > I've not seen it myself, but then I don't seem to play as much as some
    > people and haven't gotten to that critical point yet. It's apparently
    > one reason why downloading houses with families, and moving families
    > between neighbourhoods is a bad idea.
    >
    > Pescado says: "Trouble reportedly sets in sometime past the 800 mark"
    >
    > ~*~
    > vecki

    Yeah, vecki, that's where I read it. I've been to so many places and
    read so much today, I'm getting confused.

    deene

    "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net> wrote in message
    > I've been reading where a neighborhood can get too large and get ruined.
    > Has this happened to anybody in here? This doesn't make sense! Of
    > course, I won't have this problem because I always start over with each
    > EP. LOL But, since Sims 2 was suppose to be about generations and lots
    > of people play the game that way, seems like this glitch, if it is one,
    > is a very bad one until they get a patch out.

    Yeah, at 800 sims or so in the neighborhood, things start to break.

    While that sounds like a lot, I ran into that limit pretty early on.

    There are some unofficial fixes for most the problems, and supposedly Maxis
    raised the number of max sims in either Nightlife, or the patch for
    Nightlife/Uni coming out soon.

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:05:25 -0500, "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net>
    wrote:

    >I've been reading where a neighborhood can get too large and get ruined.
    >Has this happened to anybody in here? This doesn't make sense! Of
    >course, I won't have this problem because I always start over with each
    >EP. LOL But, since Sims 2 was suppose to be about generations and lots
    >of people play the game that way, seems like this glitch, if it is one,
    >is a very bad one until they get a patch out.

    I think ruined in the sense that it may be too graphically intense,
    like Cuthbert has done to Pleasantville? LOL
    --

    "I put it to YOU sir, that it TAKES a pedophile, to see
    such perverted things in a children's game!"

    > On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:05:25 -0500, "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've been reading where a neighborhood can get too large and get
    >>ruined.
    >>Has this happened to anybody in here? This doesn't make sense! Of
    >>course, I won't have this problem because I always start over with
    >>each
    >>EP. LOL But, since Sims 2 was suppose to be about generations and lots
    >>of people play the game that way, seems like this glitch, if it is
    >>one,
    >>is a very bad one until they get a patch out.
    >
    > I think ruined in the sense that it may be too graphically intense,
    > like Cuthbert has done to Pleasantville? LOL
    > --
    >

    > "I put it to YOU sir, that it TAKES a pedophile, to see
    > such perverted things in a children's game!"
    > -Imaginary press conference in response to Jack Thompson

    I hope you're right, but some are saying it actually corrupts the
    neighborhood and it can no longer be played?? This doesn't make sense to
    me either, but it is kind of scary if it is true for those who like to
    play generations.

    deene

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:25:09 -0500, "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net>
    wrote:

    >I hope you're right, but some are saying it actually corrupts the
    >neighborhood and it can no longer be played?? This doesn't make sense to
    >me either, but it is kind of scary if it is true for those who like to
    >play generations.

    Yeah I dont see how that's possible, since each sim and house is an
    individual file. Besides, if one got corrupted, you should just be
    able to delete it :-)
    --

    deene wrote:
    > I've been reading where a neighborhood can get too large and get
    > ruined. Has this happened to anybody in here?

    I have a mega huge Pleaseantview and it is playable. I did get some bugged
    houses though.

    Gareeth

    Go to http://moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/ and have a look around there should
    be more than one thread on this subject there, plus an explanation from
    Pescado as to why problems occur when Sim numbers (dead and alive) reach
    certain size.

    MM

    > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:05:25 -0500, "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've been reading where a neighborhood can get too large and get ruined.
    >>>Has this happened to anybody in here? This doesn't make sense! Of
    >>>course, I won't have this problem because I always start over with each
    >>>EP. LOL But, since Sims 2 was suppose to be about generations and lots
    >>>of people play the game that way, seems like this glitch, if it is one,
    >>>is a very bad one until they get a patch out.
    >>
    >> I think ruined in the sense that it may be too graphically intense,
    >> like Cuthbert has done to Pleasantville? LOL
    >> --
    >>

    >> "I put it to YOU sir, that it TAKES a pedophile, to see
    >> such perverted things in a children's game!"
    >> -Imaginary press conference in response to Jack Thompson
    >
    > I hope you're right, but some are saying it actually corrupts the
    > neighborhood and it can no longer be played?? This doesn't make sense to
    > me either, but it is kind of scary if it is true for those who like to
    > play generations.
    >
    > deene

    It means that the inheritance and births no longer function properly. There
    are various ways to help the situation and hacks available (you'll have to
    wait until they're checked for Nightlife compatibility). You can also help
    the situation by deleting useless sims with SimPE - you have to be careful
    about this so I'd read up about it on the net before you do.

    Basically, there are various sims spawned that never feature in gameplay or
    as a result of a bug. For example, you will nearly always get a new barista
    sim spawned when you go to a community lot with a coffee machine -
    similarly, I think, with shop assistants. Secret society sims will also go
    on spawning forever in certain situations - but this one only happens if you
    hack a bit of coding to allow more visiting sims on your lots. You can end
    up with a whole pile of sims in your neighbourhood files that you will never
    see again. Also, when you import a sim from another neighbourhood or
    download one with a lot, you will get any sims the sim you downloaded ever
    knew (i.e. they appear in their memories) put into your neighbourhood files.
    You will never see these sims, because they only exist in the sims's memory
    not as actual sims in the neighbourhood but there will be a sim file for
    them. You will also still have a copy of any sims you created and deleted
    in there. Beyond a certain number of sims in a neighbourhood, the game
    becomes buggy and, as I said, the inheritance and birth coding is affected.
    These comments, BTW, apply to pre-Nightlife ONLY.

    Maxoid Tom over at MTS2 (or HatedMaxoid depending where you read his
    comments) has been talking about some of these things and has said that the
    Barista spawning will be addressed in the upcoming patch and also that some
    things were fixed for Nightlife. Bear in mind, we've only just had NL and
    no-one is entirely sure what has changed so I'd not worry about it too much
    just now and wait a bit and see what people come up with. Also, the patch
    is due, I think, soon although I'm not sure whether we actually have a date
    yet.

    Best wishes
    maxon

    "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net> wrote in message

    > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:05:25 -0500, "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>I've been reading where a neighborhood can get too large and get
    > >>ruined.
    > >>Has this happened to anybody in here? This doesn't make sense! Of
    > >>course, I won't have this problem because I always start over with
    > >>each
    > >>EP. LOL But, since Sims 2 was suppose to be about generations and lots
    > >>of people play the game that way, seems like this glitch, if it is
    > >>one,
    > >>is a very bad one until they get a patch out.
    > >
    > > I think ruined in the sense that it may be too graphically intense,
    > > like Cuthbert has done to Pleasantville? LOL
    > > --
    > >

    > > "I put it to YOU sir, that it TAKES a pedophile, to see
    > > such perverted things in a children's game!"
    > > -Imaginary press conference in response to Jack Thompson
    >
    > I hope you're right, but some are saying it actually corrupts the
    > neighborhood and it can no longer be played?? This doesn't make sense to
    > me either, but it is kind of scary if it is true for those who like to
    > play generations.
    >
    > deene

Sims Games Video Games