Windows 7 Odd Networking Issues with Gaming/Ventrilo.

fredwin

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Ever since I installed Windows 7 Ultimate(64bit) I've been having all kinds of troubles with my network.
Basically, any type of moderate net traffic generated by my PC will cause my ping to shoot up to around 2-4k ms. This may also be triggered by cpu usage, but I don't know that for sure yet. However, my connection is quite fast, I usually ping out to most places at 15-20ms. Speedtest puts me at 35mbps down and 10-20mbps up. My connection and computer are still performing at top speed, I don't really seem to run into issues until I'm trying to use ventrilo or play FPS games.

My PC is of decent speed, I have a p4-6600 quad 3.2ghz cpu, Asus rampage formula mobo, 8 gigs of ram, and a geforce 9800. Windows 7 and any game I've tried on it so far runs amazingly fast at high settings.

I figured that since I've never had an issue like this on Vista64 there was some sort of issue with the drivers for my NIC(integrated), so I tried the newest marvell yukon driver from marvell as well as from AsusTek. Oddly enough, The Windows7 updater gives me the option to download an older driver for my NIC but the update fails with an unknown error every time.

I've tried to configure some settings on my network adapter to turn off enegry saving and to try different duplex settings and even to turn off flow control. I've been messing with this for over a day now, and unfortunately I do not have any room in my case to place a stand alone NIC or I would try that. Does anyone have any ideas I can try? I should mention that I already tried to disable Nagle's algorithm and etc. to try and deal with this. It's almost like the cpu is bottlenecking or something when the adapter is in use but why would that happen when it's not even remotely close to being stressed? Ugh.

fredwin

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
After a few days worth of testing I've come to the conclusion that any type of download/upload over like 20kb causes lag and high ping times. I've run out of options to try and fix this. I am going to pickup a new windows7 supported NIC and if I can't get that to work I am going to uninstall windows7. Anyone have any insight before I do so?