Sign in with
Your question

Asus 6950 2Gb DCII Mod plan

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 16, 2012 6:19:45 AM

Ok, so heres me, :pt1cable: 
Heres my build, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

Thats for folks who don't know me, those of you who do are probably saying 'oh god what now..' :p 

I want to get my cards into the wet, and I love my DCII shrouds, and I hate cables/hoses being visible,

So the rough plan is, uni blocks on the cards, covered by the original shrouds (complete with the fans as standard, just for added fun) and the tubing as invisible as I can get it
I will need more rad obviously so I'm tempted by an RX360/480 on top of the current 240 I have, or an EX240 or two mounted, erm somewhere :p 
Back of the rearfan is one idea,
and another pump is probably a necessity by now as well, so do I go separate loop or all into one?
same loop means an equal pump, separate loop can have a different pump, more for ease of messing about than performance

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/EK-Water-Blocks-EK-VG... are the blocks,
fittings yet to be planned but are probably going to be interesting,
they will not be connected by the usual block to block connector, that can be seen tut tut...
the tubing will most likely exit the top card near the mobo back tray, then connect to the lower card out of sight,

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6950_D... are the cards,
I chose them specifically because of the huge shrouds so I'm loath to ditch them and well, I just like making things hard on myself hehe

Ideas/criticism welcome, I won't have the money for this expansion for a while, but I want to get it planned out well in advance as it will require a total strip and rebuild.
/Joy mode: On......

Moto
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 16, 2012 8:53:15 AM

Moto Moto Moto Moto Moto Moto Moto Moto Moto Moto Nice Cat and Nice Build! Moto Moto Moto Moto Moto Moto Moto

White papers :p  Single vs Dual loop

http://www.swiftech.com/Resources/White_Papers/Dual%20L...

Its a good read :) 

I'm not sure I understand how the tubing from GPU1 is going to connect to GPU2's waterblock, is it going from GPU1 through a cut out in the motherboard tray, down the back of the motherboard tray, then through another cut out and connect to GPU2?

Diagram needed! :D 
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 16, 2012 2:12:15 PM

I had read that paper a while back, I should have mentioned/ hinted at in the Op that the benefits of a dual loop were not intended to be performance-related for me, I know theres no real difference that way,
it would more be the convenience of having it separate for practicalitys sake,

I measured up my case a bit and removing the Hdd cage would allow an RX240 on the floor, that alone wouldn't be enough though hehe,
I have plenty of room for the second res/pump if I go for another xspc dualbay 750 and I am leaning toward them being on their own tbh,( now I'm picturing the modding involved :p )

Diagrams, /shudder, I can't draw lol but I'll try my best to give you the sketch

See the redboxed tab at the end of the card?

I would remove the ones at the rear (nearest mobo tray) of the cards and the tube coming out from the top card would go into the lower card (using two right angle connectors most likely), then back out the same hole, then I route the two tubes through the little port down the side of the hdd cage (not through the mobo grommet, no room behind the mobo tray for tubing :p 
(Or make a big enough hole)

does that make it clearer at all?
Moto
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 16, 2012 4:58:12 PM

Ah ok yeah I see what the crack is. Should look tidy :) 

My only concern would be the tight bend going from GPU1 to GPU2, you planning on using anti-kinky coils?
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 16, 2012 5:04:27 PM

Nope, theres going to be a few angled adaptors in the loop once its rebuilt, I haven't used any in the original loop but I'm seeing places where they may be beneficial,
and two between the graphics cards will keep the tube short and neat.

I'm working so far on
the 480 mounted above the 240 theory, and drawing in a temp sensor and another fan controller, I think I can get away with having just two more Blue wings and found a 2 channel fancontroller/ temp sensor thing, so I have to conjure how/where that would live hehe :p 
That would control the two fans on the 240 in pull, and the four on the 480 would be handled by my current controller

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/35-multi-channel-2-fan-cont...
I'm grinning at the idea of my Rig being 32/33 inches high maybe more :p ,
it depends what I do for a shroud/mount between the 240 and 480
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 23, 2012 3:19:27 PM

Slight redesign hehe, Rig sits on top of the box, 35.5 inches high now (Link at top)
heatsinks and rads are here and the box just needs the fans and fittings now and its ready,
hopefully I can source the Gpu blocks this month and get cracking on the card part of the mod
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 12:31:11 PM

As I mentioned in the radbox log, I had a chat with Mick at thewatercoolingshop.co.uk yesterday, ordered my blocks and a couple of elbows, and they arrived today,
great service, friendly guy and I said I'd shout up by way of thanks
http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.uk/ for the Uk lads :) 

Shiny they be :) 
I also got my tubing through,
comp fittings (Shiny)
Koolance Quick disconnects (Very Shiny)
and my Xspc pump/res,

Have I said Shiny too much in this post already? :p 

I am awesome btw, check out the clearance on the comps in place,

they also are slightly angled up to help clear any sticky up bits on the card,

Right, I'm off to take a card out and get to modding it, and also tube up the radbox ready for the fans arriving,
back later
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 7:34:00 PM

Ok, first up Ek upgraded the fittings kit, but not the instructions :p 
no problem, I can duct tape anything together hehe

card in bits

Blocks the exact same height as the Heatsink,

after the factory paste came off

My spire paste going on,

Ramsinks on

Oops, there goes my warranty :p 

my little bracket/hanger in case the frame droops ever (most likely won't)

top tube with the elbow is the in, will be fed from the top card's output, bottom tube is about 7 feet long, not cutting it until I can line it up in the case as thats the one going to the radbox

My milliput bonding scheme, I drilled a couple of holes through the frame to give a little more grip, fans go back on top of that once set (in the three holes you can see)

Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 7:45:30 PM

Card with the shroud in place to check its straight, and the aforementioned tail....

Thats it for todays photo's, I thought I'd taken more but obviously not lol,
ordered 5m more of clear tube, they were out of black and the 4m I bought isn't going to be enough by far hehe
the milliput should set overnight and then I can rebuild with the fans in the shroud, then its waiting on fans, case hacking, modding the other card and we're looking like its getting to be almost finished
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 8:43:06 PM

I am liking this...more pics! Are you liking he results thus far?
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 8:47:46 PM

Yup!
/Beams,
I keep going into the kitchen just to look at it, I'm quite proud of this idea and very glad to see it coming alive at last,
should be able to rebuild it tomorrow then I'll post a 'finished' mod pic of the card
although leaktesting is only possible once I've rebuilt the whole rig ofc hehe and theres still the other card to do, but that won't take half as long to do
Moto
April 25, 2012 9:28:21 PM

Total sexburgers.

Probably the only mod of its kind that I have seen in such a gg manner.

People will be like ":o  da hell is dat a air cooled or water cooled setup"

Really amazed at how you got everything to fit, would love to see the shopping list you have for this setup lol.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 9:44:22 PM

The whole loop or just the gfx/radbox part?
and yes, they probably are/will be the only DCII's cooled in this way (at least for now)
**Edit, have you shown your brother the thread yet to get him to do his?
Moto
April 25, 2012 10:50:32 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
The whole loop or just the gfx/radbox part?
and yes, they probably are/will be the only DCII's cooled in this way (at least for now)
**Edit, have you shown your brother the thread yet to get him to do his?
Moto

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of your entire setup whenever you get around to making one. Good learning experience for me ofc.

Yea I plan on showing him this thread, I am waiting for him to awake from his slumber first lol.

When the earth needs a clone army, We gonna come a knockin on your door :p 
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 11:20:55 PM

Links at the top of the page for the build log for the Pc part and that has links for this and the gfx card threads :-)
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 12:26:05 PM

Ok, checked the putty this morning, solid as....
so its rebuild time for my Shiny card

Frame is well supported,

The last daylight this block will see for a while,

Tubes clear the mossie heatsink nicely

Fans screwed back on and wires routed/plugged back in

Shroud back on and screwed in

I even put the little aluminium stickers back straight hehe

So there it is, one Hybrid cooled Asus 6950 2GB DCIIH20,
unique, (until I get the other one done)
and I think rather special :) 
hope you all enjoyed watching and thanks again to the suppliers for fast delivery and great service

thewatercoolingshop.co.uk
specialtech.co.uk
scan.co.uk

now, I'm off to fit these into my radbox...

Moto

April 26, 2012 3:16:35 PM

SO many fans :o 
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 8:05:21 PM

They go well with the 9 already in the case (not including Northbridge fan,Psu fan or the gfx cards fans, that would be 14 in there for a total of 28 fans in my Rig,
all on low and silent as the grave :p 

I have to strip it down now and get the second card done ready for tomorrow,
Moto
April 26, 2012 8:07:22 PM

Almost done then it seems.
EDIT: Almost time to leave it alone for a little while. :p 
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 8:12:15 PM

When it comes to watercooling or modding, there never is a 'done'...there is just 'more than I had before'.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 10:28:08 PM

/Agree, I already have some aesthetic adds in the works hehe
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 10:45:09 PM

Are you already modding your mod?

Does that create an instant singularity and destroy the universe?
April 26, 2012 10:50:13 PM

Does that create an instant singularity and destroy the universe? said:
Does that create an instant singularity and destroy the universe?

Hahahaha. No, I believe it's a modularity. Like a singularity, only, not, at all..... Made up word of the day: Modularity, also known as Motolarity... :p 
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 10:54:18 PM

It's still easier to say/spell 'insanity'.
April 26, 2012 10:55:58 PM

rubix_1011 said:
It's still easier to say/spell 'insanity'.

This is true.....
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 27, 2012 9:22:12 PM

Finished and up and running, fresh pics in radbox log and water gallery, too late for update so I'll update tomorrow, glad you all think I'm going to be responsible for the multiverse collapsing in on itself hehe
(probably will be knowing me :p )
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 28, 2012 9:52:11 PM

These pics are also in my other logs but in the interests of this log looking finished,

Both cards ready,

Back in the case,

closer look at the tubing arrangement,

inside the Radbox,

And back on the desk...

Yay for mental ideas I say because this ones gone exactly to plan and looks great :) 
Moto
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2012 9:59:24 PM

so what are your plans, are you going to clock the system, or did you do this for a later build, or did you just not like the temps you were getting, sorry that's a lot. just one will do.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 28, 2012 10:18:46 PM

My plans? Enjoy this, hopefully it'll last me a couple of years but my next Cpu/mobo/gfx upgrade will be in the same chassis,
Temps were fine, I just wanted to add the cards into the loop
I already clocked it to 4..5GHz so I may revisit that but I run at stock normally, I do things like this just for the project really,
I like the challenges and making things I come up with
Moto
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2012 10:30:13 PM

ok, I have to admit that building stuff is fun, but I have to justify it to myself somehow, before I can just do it. I have too many projects already, for me to add to for no reason other than for fun. although most of them are kind of fun, not for the work involved, but for the outcome. well I will be looking forward to your new clocks and how far you get.
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 29, 2012 2:23:46 AM

I've enjoyed seeing this build, modding these cards. Quite an interesting method for combining air and water cooling using stock cooler and fans.

What's next on the modding list?
April 29, 2012 3:56:05 AM

rubix_1011 said:
I've enjoyed seeing this build, modding these cards. Quite an interesting method for combining air and water cooling using stock cooler and fans.

What's next on the modding list?

He already crossbred a fan with his cpu block. Now he did the opposite with his GPUs.

Next I suspect he will do the same to his power supply :pt1cable: 
April 29, 2012 9:42:48 PM

Next I suspect he will do the same to his power supply :pt1cable: said:
Next I suspect he will do the same to his power supply :pt1cable: 

Water cooled power supply? Oh yes. :D 
April 29, 2012 10:32:28 PM

Seems kind of silly to water cool a power supply but why not? If it's worth doing it's worth over doing I suppose.
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 30, 2012 1:56:21 PM

The watercooled PSU had a few days of glory 5 years ago or so...you rarely see many around these days. Just too many concerns with water next to AC/DC components like that...you'd really have to develop a very good set of blocks and method for this. Otherwise, fans and heatsinks really do a good job. Most good power supplies will be able to handle this...cheaper ones might be suspect and then also not worth the effort to WC them.

Moto- I'd fully expect to see link #2 at some point with you. :) 

Did you see the Steampunk Portal gun on the front page? http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Steampunk-Portal-Gun-Replica-Art,news-14400.html
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 30, 2012 4:38:34 PM

Hmm, mixed feeling about water and my Psu to be honest, it doesn't warrant watercooling in my book, but thats not to say a future project won't explore it :p 
I would go along the lines of link two though, and make it a visual feature if I was going to do it
and yes, I'm a little disappointed the gun doesn't have the potato with a fobwatch on it though :p 
Moto
April 30, 2012 9:18:46 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Hmm, mixed feeling about water and my Psu to be honest, it doesn't warrant watercooling in my book, but thats not to say a future project won't explore it :p 
I would go along the lines of link two though, and make it a visual feature if I was going to do it
and yes, I'm a little disappointed the gun doesn't have the potato with a fobwatch on it though :p 
Moto

A potato would have been too complicated...... :p 
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 30, 2012 10:01:53 PM

One of the 'Aesthetic' mods I have planned is to use one of the DCII heatsinks as a Usb coffeewarmer,
I've been using it as a coaster and the Gf said I should make it a warmer so I'll look into that :-)
Moto
April 30, 2012 10:10:28 PM

Hmmm. Not a bad idea. Bet it'll look cooler than this too. Or....... hehe :p 
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 7:01:14 AM

Ok, teasertime then, one of the Hs's will be a coffeewarmer as mentioned, the other will get drilled to the side of the case as a purely aesthetic mod,
but why would I be looking at buying one of these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1KG-POWDER-ABC-FIRE-EXTINGUIS...

I await guesses and wild ideas :p 
Moto
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 7:08:08 AM

a bottom support for the extinguisher?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 8:14:36 AM

jeez, how loud is this thing?
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 8:43:41 AM

Silent man, the fans in the case are 600rpm, except the Cpu fan mod which is mobo controlled,
and the ones in the box are 1k rpm on low (6v) and when I get the splitters made/fitted,
they will be 500rpm each in the box, 1k rpm on full blast,
Its right next to my head on the desk and I can barely hear it,
I'll do a video for you :) 
Moto
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 8:47:03 AM

i like the way it sounds already. can you hear that?
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 8:57:12 AM

Just uploading, I'll post in a few mins :) 
Sorry for the voice, I'm a bit ill hehe
No excuse for bad camerawork though :p 
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/T...
I know, one channel of my fancontroller is a bit intermittent, It'll be looked at (As well as the cathode inverters cables)
I just need to make up an extension to hide those
and excuse the coughing fit :p 
**Edit, Don't forget I can also turn off fully the radbox fans and the eight controlled by the fancontroller on top, leaving just the Cpu fanmod and Gpu's fans running should I wish for total silence :p 
Moto
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 3:25:53 PM

Why do you sound like an actor.....
anyways, wow! nice rig man :D 
!