SSD really worth it?

ribs333

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hey guys
I am building a gaming rig
the best ssd i can afford is the ocz agility 30gb for my system
is it worth it or should i leave the ssd and spend the money on a better gpu or cpu?

Is the ssd only good for faster boot times because i really couldn't care less for a few seconds better in boot times

No 30 gig will not be enough for you (OS+game) so you don't get the benefit of fast game load therefore not worth it. If you can get a larger ssd, then its your choice between faster load time vs more fps.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
My opinion-
an SSD is good for speeding up disk reads/writes. Naturally this will speed up booting your computer and loading apps. Once your apps are loaded they may or may not run any faster. We run AutoCAD and it seems to want to read modules repeatedly from the hard drive. I think an SSD would speed it up. Other apps that I run probably wouldn't make any difference.

I would like SSD's for my laptops because they are very sluggish with slow mechanical hard drives. I would like to try an SSD in my CAD workstation as mentioned above. I don't feel a need for one in my home PC which is very fast and responsive as is with its WD Black 750gb mechanical drive.

medwardl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
if you are going to go ssd go for the pci express interface those drives are much faster although they are expensive.

While that is a tempting option, most of us can't afford to spend quite that much money.

einheriar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

And you write that to a guy who writes THE BEST I CAN AFFORD IS A 30gb???

Compares to a guy asking which entry level sports car I should buy that is a little fast cos that is what I can afford ?? and the suggest forget those entry level cars buy at least a mid range ferrari..

medwardl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I would hold off on the drive a little longer and get a better one 30 gig these days will get windows installed and not much else. if he waits and builds up 200 then he can get a 50gb drive that runs on pci-e x4. Still not very big but twice as fast or 254 for the 110gb model. If that's all he can afford I would just go for a traditional hdd running sata 6gb/s and a controller card if need be.