2500k prime stable, but suddenly droping frames in games/bench ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hey guys !

I have a strange problem, my overclock with my asus sabertooth and 2500k is good and stable. No problems in prime, idle or games. BUT, suddenly some times when i for instance do 2 benchmarks after each other i get correct score on the first, but the second one i suddenly have 30-50 less frames ?? what ? Was the same with another mobo also. And this only happens some times... i just did 2 3dmark vantage after each other and first got 18,4k then next one i got 14k.

And i can sometimes just restart my computer and the problem goes away, then i can play and do benchmarks all day long without problems, any suggestions ? its quite annoying... :fou:

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

30-35 idle and 55-60 at load.... 1,4v volt cpu with 4,7ghz, 1,15-ish vccio. Ram stock at 1066 @ 1,5v now. Strange thing is that this only happens some times, for instanse i just did a little test, got 160-165 fps at one point, and then i restarted and had suddenly 70-80 at the same point with the exact same everything...

Also actually got a bsod 116 just now... Strange that this is only some times, other times my computer is on 24/7 for weeks without a single problem with this.

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

An old but good Corsair 750w... had some problems with my previous mobo with i though could be the psu, but after testing it with high overclock, 6950 crossfire and stuff it seemed fine. (turned out to be a bad mobo btw :))

I tired something now tho that seemed to fix the problem, i just loaded optimized settings in bios, started it up, then loaded my overclocked settings again... now it seems to be good like it should. But i still want to find out why it does this tho, and i really appreciate the help :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So, what all are you OCing? CPU, yes. GPU? Memory?

I NEVER recommend OCing memory, the increase (minor) gained in performance is usually trumped by stability. OC the CPU and GPU, but leave your memory at stock. The system will be much more stable that way.

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Just cpu.... gpu and memory it stock. I agree with you, no really gain in oc the memory. I just find it so strange that it suddenly messes with the frames, and now that i just re-loaded my overclock "profile" again is much better... Everything is the same tho. I don't get it...

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
What you are experiencing is CPU Thermo Throttling. Run CPU-Z to monitor your clock speed and Real Temp for your temps then P95 and note your cpu speed as temp goes up.

This guide will tell you what settings to have so your CPU does not do that. But heed this warning; high heat can killl your CPU!

Just my thoughts... 1.4V is a pretty high Vcore, while the Vccio is very low. I would recommend bumping the vccio up to 1.25, and you should be able to drop the Vcore a similar amount.

Worth trying anyway. I've only taken a 2500k up to 4.5 and a 2600k up to 4.6, and neither required much fiddling with voltages.

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

I have on cpuz, real temp and HW monitor at all times and always keep an eye on it. I have done what you say at least 30 times during the last weeks, haven't noticed anything with my cpu speed as the temps go up, they seem kinda rock stable at where they should. But i may be blind and i don't know half what you know, so i'll have a look and test/read thru you link ! :)

I also tried with everything in bios stock now, and i have the same problem then. Even got a 116 bsod doing a 3dmark earlier today... woot ?

I've heard and read that the vccio should stay below 1,2v for 24/7... I'm more worried about the vccio voltage than the cpu voltage. But you have a good point tho, i'll give it a try :)

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
After doing a prime95 now my mhz goes from 4700,3 to 4700,8mhz.... on a really rare occasion it goes to 4699,8 and 4701.... but that happens for like half second ones in a blue moon...

I though that cpu thermal throttling was when cpu reach its tj/tc max temp and starts to slow it self down to prevent damage ? And with my cpu running 4,7ghz at 1,4v in prime for hours without reaching 65c i don't really see why it should be a thermal throttling problem ?

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

I'm on a new motherboard now, normal i use gigabyte... Eist is the speedstep thing right ? I have all the power saving and stuff like that off, that i know off. Like c1 and such... i don't like my cpu jumping about :)

I really appreciate all the help, this problem is annoying as hell. I'll write up some key things to keep things simple...

■ Problem come with stock setting in bios and 4,7ghz @ 1,4v.
■ My cpu is prime stable for hours.
■ At many hours prime im at 65c at max, running a big water cooling system.
■ Example: Had 4,7ghz @1,4v yesterday, all good. Did benches and games. Same result 3dmarks multiple times after each other. Pc stayed on over night and then suddenly i had shity frames in games and 3dmark again. Sometimes running 2 3dmarks after each other give me insane differers in score with same settings.
■ Ram is running at stock voltage and everything.
■ Psu is good/big enough.
■ Cpu score in all tests are fine and spot on, only gpu scores that suddenly drop...

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Thats the question mate :) Sorry if i'm a bit confusing to understand, i'm not from a English speaking country. My cpu seems fine, i need a bit much volt just for 4,7ghz tho, but what the hell... its on a big water loop and i remember my old cpu which people said i would kill it withing mounths at 1,4v and i had like 1,5v for 3 years 24/7 :) Was the old e8600...same story with the one before that again...

Seems to kinda be a gpu thing ye, but it only happens some times... thats the strange part. Like now i did 2 3dmarks with identical score, and suddendly i can do another 3dmark and then the gpu score is low as hell. I have no idea here now... will probably try a mates gpu card a couple days

Have you tried running GPUZ in the background with sensors running to check what all the temps are on the GPU? It will read more than just core temp if available, and sometimes it's the VRM or VRAM that are heating up and causing issues.

Otherwise you might want to simply try a fresh driver installation.

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Good point, i can try that. Driving down to a friend and borrowing his card some days... I have tried fresh driver after i tried a crossfire with 2 other cards a week ago, so i don't think that is the problem. I'll try to monitor the gpu tho :)

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Another thing i noticed after reading many 2500k overclocking guide and stuff is that i can't understand how they manage to get a high clock on so little voltage. Both me and my mate with the same ram, mobo and cpu both need to have 1,4v + to get 4,7ghz stable... And i've tried everything.... i don't get it

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Mehh... i was hoping for either more mhz or less voltage. I clocked my mates 2500k, rock stable at 4,5ghz @ just under 1,3v and did some 3dmarks and stuff at 5ghz @ 1,39v :D

Could it all be that i clocked by not using the turbo mode ? I now have 4,7ghz @ 1,4v using the turbo mode and with VRM Frequency change to 350. Also have the duty and phase to extrem.... could that be it or is there no real difference clocking with turbo and non-turbo in bios ?

Well for turbo to be on and working you need EIST on as well, but I don't know that you're able to actually use it once you've manually changed the multiplier. Does your frequency/multiplier change depending on if you have 1, 2, 3, or 4 threads going? Try Intel Burn Test, you can set the amount of threads to use.

I've OCed with turbo boost on my system, but it's set up differently. I was able to get my base clock to 177, but the multipliers are locked. Still, that's a pretty good increase as I was running 3.7 -> 4.2ghz turbo on an i5 750. Now I just run straight 4ghz, though.

Anyway, not sure about duty but the phase power should allow more power and a more stable voltage to the CPU. Same with Load Line Calibration if you have that option. Otherwise you'll get vdroop, so at 1.4V you're running closer to 1.3 under load (as an example).

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I tried just to have turbo on all the time and sett all cores to 47x... it seemed more stable but after 1,5 hour prime it failed :(

My volt is 1,400 to 1,408v, using "ultra high" load line.

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have to say tho (knock on wood) that it seems better now... After clocking with turbo (not the main reason) and upping the Vrm and stuff i haven't had any problems with gpu. Maybe a bit early to say tho...

I was also hoping to be prime stable, but after 1,5 hour i got the 124 bsod yesterday. i don't really think i will notice anything while gaming tho, so no biggy. Maybe upping the vccio would make it a bit more stable tho.... i'll try.

Edit: After testing 2 days now i have yet to have any problems with the gpu :) May be just random luck, but i have played and tested a lot + many restarts. Also noticed that with vccio at auto, not 1,125v or 1,15v the computer is more stable. Got further and futher in prime with less vccio :)

ottesen

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Okay, now i'm REALLY confused. The computer has been flawless the last 2-3 days, gpu problems was completely gone. Played a lot and all good. And i tried to get 4,8ghz at a bit more volt which it didn't like, so i got a bsod while sleeping... i restart det computer and set everything back to the 4,7ghz prime stable setting i have saved. And studdenly the gpu problem again...

So i load optimized settings in bios, restart, then set the 4,7ghz prime stable settings on again and now its fine...what ? (just fine now that i tried some benches, we'll see later if its fine.) I'm not understanding *** now, lol...maybe i should just never turn the computer off...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.