popeye11

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
need help with installing 2nd ssd, i want to do the spanned option but it is greyed out when i right click it is greyed and the stripped is to...can somebody help me plz?

Are you aware that either action requires deleting all the data on the first SSD? This is probably why they are greyed out - you would have to wipe both SSDs to set up this configuration.

Better idea - don't. Can you give more specifics, such as the types and sizes of the SSDs, what the first one is currently being used for, the motherboard, and your shoe size?

popeye11

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
lol shoe size ? 11.5..... 2 kingston 96 GB ssd, one of them is my c drive, which what i was trying to do was make my c-drive bigger, but if i gotta wipe it clean i'll just wait...
mother board is a amd biostar..thank you for your help.

Would someone with more experience please weigh in here? Is it possible to, using Disk Manager, bind the space on the two drives into one volume without building a RAID volume, which would require wiping the drive? Basically, Windoze would write to one drive until it was full and then to the other. I thought that it could do that, but I've never played with it myself.

"In some versions of Windows, you can combine separate dynamic hard disks into a single dynamic volume (called spanning),..." Maybe you have to make the drive dynamic? I'm looking to see if that can be done without wiping the data, and if you can boot off such a monstrosity.

Guess not.
Note that if the volume existed before the disk was upgraded to dynamic, it can never be extended or spanned no matter which file system it uses. If you try to extend this type of volume, you receive the following error message:
The selected volume was originally created on a basic disk and cannot be extended. Only volumes originally created on dynamic disks can be extended.
To extend or span a volume that was created before the disk was upgraded to dynamic, the volume must be deleted and re-created on the dynamic disk.

A simple volume cannot be extended or spanned in this situation because any existing basic partitions retain their partition table entries in the master boot record (MBR) so that Windows 2000 can boot from and install to the dynamic volume. Setup allows only installations and upgrades to dynamic disks that currently include the system or boot volumes. Extending or spanning a simple volume that still has a partition entry would disable this ability.
From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/225551, although that has a date in 2007.

I would guess that you would have to back up the C drive, wipe it and build your volume, and reload the data from your backup. Still don't know if it would boot, though.

popeye11

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
ok, thanks for the info, i've learned a few things any way. i will just have to use the 2nd ssd when the first when gets to full of programs...with win 7 and up dates,antivirus and a few others i have about 48 gigs left.....thanks