Please Help!!! Fried Graphic Card???

nevinale

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I have a Desktop with an Intel Quadcore 2.83 GHz processor, 512mb NVidia GeForce 9800GT graphic card. However, I strongly believe that I have fried my graphic card. My monitor screen is completely dead, despite being powered on. I know the issue can't be with the power supply, since the system boots up fine. Windows loads up too. I am able to know from the default windows boot up sound. Thus the processor, cpu and the hard drive seems to be fine. That leaves the graphic card. Is it possible to have a dead screen because of a fried graphic card?? Please do help. Thanks in advance!!

Four Options to test this:

1) Install a different video card & see if it works. (If this works, your GPU is probably dead)

2) Install your 9800GT in a different PC, and see if that works. (If this works, it may be your monitor)

3) Turn on your monitor and hit one of the menu buttons. Make sure the monitor itself will display it's own menu. (If the monitor won't display it's menu, it may be dead).

4) If your motherboard happens to have an integrated GPU, plug your monitor into the built in VGA/DVI output and see if that works. (If this works, your GPU is probably dead)