Sign in with
Your question

Mass Effect 2 for $37, Is my E8400 enough to handle it on full?

Last response: in CPUs
December 25, 2009 9:23:41 PM

First off, a heads up for a GREAT game (based on ME1)

MASS EFFECT 2 is $36.99 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JTX7JQ?ie=UTF8&tag=slickdealssd-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002JTX7JQ

it's actually $46.99, but when you pre-order they give you a $10 credit towards a future game purchase, you also get "inferno armor" for in-game use

I'm saving my $10 credit for starcraft 2. 2010 is going to be a killer gaming year

Now to my question. I bought this hd5770 about a month ago
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SP113K?ie=UTF8&tag=slickdealssd-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002SP113K

and i've been playing ME1 to prepare for ME2 in January. I game at 1920x1200 and I assumed that my new card would take care of ME1 no problem, except that I've notice that the game sometimes stutters (everything turned up to MAX).

People in the Graphics forum said that my HD5770 should handle it no problem. Does that mean my CPU is the problem? Do I need to upgrade my E8400 to a quad-core or something to avoid any bottlenecks or is a E8400 and HD5770 a good match?

I have a P35 board i think (or maybe P45, whatever handles wolfdale). and am considering a CPU upgrade. Definitely no Core i5/i7 though, since i don't want to buy a new mobo.

current rig
E8400
HD5770
Seagate 500GB 7200.11
OCZ 2x2GB DDR2-1066Mhz
December 25, 2009 9:48:33 PM

HD5770 should handle ME2 pretty well, but i doubt it will play it smoothly with everything on max @1920x1200 resolution.

Your 3GHz dualcore is more then enough for 5770, even for 5870 and you will gain nothing for going to quadcore at least for now as most games are still not optimized to use more then 2 cores.
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2009 10:47:56 PM

Try overclocking the CPU if your board supports it.
Related resources
December 27, 2009 1:51:42 AM

OC at 3.6ghz is enough to get crysis and ARMA II to run smoothly at max with no AA or AF. OC at 4.0 and you should be good.
February 13, 2010 12:25:50 PM

Mass Effect 2 is an awful game. Save your money!

First off one key does the following: jump , duck, use, hack and on on. If you like to strafe don't waste your time the user interface control sucks!

This game should retail for $19.99 not the $49.99 there ripping people off for currently.

Second - The graphics are second hand and look like there about 5 to 7 years old.
Third - The game is loaded with Story mode scenarois that slow the game play down from already to slow feel.

My opionion - If you like FPS wrong game for you. If you like crappy over the shoulder horrible control interface than go out and waste $50 as i did.

Sorry to be so negative but i was completey let down by theis Bioware product where they have shined in the past this game is a joke!

cardinal_ turning red with anger :) 
February 13, 2010 1:21:53 PM

Nice to hear a non diluted view on ME2 finally ^ Is there seriously no way to assign separate jump/duck/use buttons?
Not to hijack...
@avenger; your CPU will work nicely with the 5770.
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2010 2:11:03 PM

My configuration at 3.8 runs mass effect fine!
February 13, 2010 2:37:41 PM

cardinal_ said:
Mass Effect 2 is an awful game. Save your money!

First off one key does the following: jump , duck, use, hack and on on. If you like to strafe don't waste your time the user interface control sucks!

This game should retail for $19.99 not the $49.99 there ripping people off for currently.

Second - The graphics are second hand and look like there about 5 to 7 years old.
Third - The game is loaded with Story mode scenarois that slow the game play down from already to slow feel.

My opionion - If you like FPS wrong game for you. If you like crappy over the shoulder horrible control interface than go out and waste $50 as i did.

Sorry to be so negative but i was completey let down by theis Bioware product where they have shined in the past this game is a joke!

cardinal_ turning red with anger :) 

you were delusional enough to think ME2 is an FPS? Its more of an RPG, and anyone who ever played ME or watched a Game trailer for either could easily tell what the game was like. If you went in thinking it was going to be a fast paced FPS you deserve to feel ripped off for your stupidity.
February 13, 2010 3:22:20 PM

Mass Effect 2 is a superb story driven shooter/rpg, which should work just fine on your system. I can play it on full gfx with a far weaker cpu... and it look pretty nice.

Clearly its not for button bashing morons who want to skip the story, and just see stuff 'blow up real good'.
February 13, 2010 4:13:46 PM

xrodney said:
HD5770 should handle ME2 pretty well, but i doubt it will play it smoothly with everything on max @1920x1200 resolution.

Your 3GHz dualcore is more then enough for 5770, even for 5870 and you will gain nothing for going to quadcore at least for now as most games are still not optimized to use more then 2 cores.

using a 5770 at 1920x1080 and it maxes all the ingame settings
this is by far one of the least demanding games in a while
February 16, 2010 12:24:47 AM

Truhls said:
you were delusional enough to think ME2 is an FPS? Its more of an RPG, and anyone who ever played ME or watched a Game trailer for either could easily tell what the game was like. If you went in thinking it was going to be a fast paced FPS you deserve to feel ripped off for your stupidity.

You work for Bioware don't you!

I was aware of the rpg and multi-team functionality of this game before buying. Listen to the sound track it is hollow as well, much like the rest of the game.

Smiles _cardinal
February 16, 2010 10:25:07 AM

cardinal_ said:
You work for Bioware don't you!

I was aware of the rpg and multi-team functionality of this game before buying. Listen to the sound track it is hollow as well, much like the rest of the game.

Smiles _cardinal

Game has an excellent story, im sorry you were dumb downed so much by regular FPS to not realize that. If you were playing for anything but the story, then ill say it again you deserved to feel ripped off for your own stupidity.
February 16, 2010 7:42:11 PM

I have made multiple post on the web on this matter and regardless of your opinion on my IQ, Mass Effect is an awful buy at $49.99.

Buyers should hold out till the prices comes down regardless of their game style preferences. If you wanna buy a good movie you'll spend $12. and that's pretty much all Mass Effect 2 has to offer for $49.99 fin'

cardinal_

February 16, 2010 9:13:06 PM

cardinal_ said:
I have made multiple post on the web on this matter and regardless of your opinion on my IQ, Mass Effect is an awful buy at $49.99.

Buyers should hold out till the prices comes down regardless of their game style preferences. If you wanna buy a good movie you'll spend $12. and that's pretty much all Mass Effect 2 has to offer for $49.99 fin'

cardinal_

yeah 12 dollars for a movie that lasts usually 1 1/2 hours. 50 bucks for a movie that lasts 40-50 hours. With your comparison you get your moneys worth. In fact, your comparison makes Mass effect one of the best movie buys of all time. OF ALL TIME.
!