Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How do I recover over written excel file on desktop

Last response: in Windows 7
October 6, 2011 3:09:39 AM

If you're not running Shadow Copy, or don't have any form of backup implemented then your best bet is to try recovery software.

I'm not sure how effective they will be, as most of the ones I've used are for deleted files rather than overwritten ones, but it can't hurt to give it a shot!
Try something like NTFS Undelete or Active@ UNDELETE.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2011 4:18:18 AM

Right click the file to open the properties window. Select the previous versions tab. The system will search for any that might be available. If it finds one select VIEW not replace. If it is the file you want, you can save it to a new location and have both or choose replace and it will replace the current version. Give it a try.
Related resources
October 6, 2011 5:56:28 AM

Dogsnake said:
Right click the file to open the properties window. Select the previous versions tab. The system will search for any that might be available. If it finds one select VIEW not replace. If it is the file you want, you can save it to a new location and have both or choose replace and it will replace the current version. Give it a try.

That's only if Shadow Copy has been enabled, or if they have done a backup recently.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2011 1:28:12 PM

True and he may just have a back-up he does not know about. I suggested this as the first thing to try.
Score
October 7, 2011 2:15:18 AM

Best answer selected by dancoonart.
Score
October 7, 2011 2:20:36 AM

Dogsnake said:
True and he may just have a back-up he does not know about. I suggested this as the first thing to try.

Thank you VERY much! The situation I described actually happened to my wife and she was in tears due to the many hours of work that was lost. Your answer solved the problem (apparently we had back up that we were unaware of) and made me the hero.

cheers!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 4:36:42 AM

Gtrz. glad it worked out.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 7:43:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!