AMD FX-4100 OC issue

pulp

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hey all, I've tried entering my UEFI bios and changing my multiplier to 22, voltage up one setting, and NB to 2200Mhz. I've disabled cool n quiet and advanced power management. The problem I face is whenever I overclock this cpu even 100mhz, my computer disables the Aero theme and I have tried several ways to return it but I can't make it stay on when the cpu is overclocked.

Also as you can see the speed fluctuates alot:

The multiplier likes to drop down to 7 whenever it chooses.

So basically you went into the BIOS and made some random changes, then when windows booted the Aero was disabled? Any reason you disabled CnQ and Advanced Power Management? Probably good to leave those on unless you need to disable them...

Anyway, what happens when you enabled aero again?

And always test when making changes! Going from 3.6ghz to 4.4ghz isn't exactly minor.

pulp

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
This is late in my testing, I started off with 3.8 and slowly moved up.. Each time I had the issue with aero but I wanted to see if I could get up to 4.4 or 4.6. I didn't make random changes, I made changes based on things I've read online. The first time I would OC the cpu I was leaving cNq and APM on, I read that it was a good idea to keep those off with this CPU.

Nothing happens when I enable aero, because I can't turn it back on.

Oh ok. Well at least you were testing and such. Still, I wouldn't disable features like that unless absolutely necessary because they will save you power. Maybe that's not a big deal to you, I don't know.

Anyway, the aero thing shouldn't be related to an overclock at all. If you return to stock settings, you can enable aero again?

pulp

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
not just the regular windows updates I do not think.
these AFAIK had to be downloaded.
here:

Fresh off the press :heink:

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2012/01/11/early-results-achieved-with-amd-fx-processor-using-windows%C2%AE-7-scheduler-update/

Patch: 1
http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Windows%20Server2008%20R2%20SP1/sp2/Fix387870/7600/free/441065_intl_x64_zip.exe

Patch: 2
http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Windows%20Server2008%20R2%20SP1/sp2/Fix391262/7600/free/441280_intl_x64_zip.exe

(FYI: Make sure to install Patch 1 first then install Patch 2)

if you have already done these than I apologize....

No, I haven't heard of this until now.. Thanks I gave it a try and it did not fix the aero problem. But according to that page on AMD's website, it should perform better. Hopefully this will help it out a little..

ti5650

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

what bios did you use to get the 4100 to work on your bord i have the same bord and chip and i cant get it to poast even when i flashed new bios any ideas sorry to put this here but i need a hand thanks

pulp

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

The 4100 worked on this board as soon as I got it without a problem. Maybe something else is wrong..

somegui430

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hello, sorry for reviving an old thread, I've had the same problems except my overclocks weren't as high:

CPU multiplier: X20 1.466V
CPU-NB multiplier: X12 1.25V
HT LINK: X12

I rebooted and the aero theme turned off, i tried installing the first patch, I rebooted, aero worked, then I installed the second one, rebooted, aero didn't work, uninstalled the second one, rebooted, aero didn't work. When I upgraded my MB and CPU, I installed the drivers on top of the old ones (I know it's stupid) and I was thinking, mabye it has got something to do with that. Since then I uninstalled and cleaned the system deeply, then reinstalled, and while reinstalling, the AMD APP SDK runtime couldn't install, fromnow one I have been doing without it and wiuthout the aero theme.

PS: I got latest UEFI

somegui430

Honorable
May 6, 2012
FINALLY!!!! I have the answer to that problem, after hours of browsing and rebooting, I got it, there are two different Northbridges: the chipset's (usually simply called NB) and the CPU's NB. What I found out is that the CPU NB frequency ALWAYS has to be HIGHER than the HT link frequency, try it... ;)