Sign in with
Your question

Gateway laptop, cooling fan turns on for a few seconds then turns off and laptop

Last response: in Overclocking
January 16, 2012 8:26:18 PM

I have a Gateway Laptop, M-Series, that the fan quit, I took it out and cleaned it, got a new fan mechanism, the fan will turn on and run for about 4 secs, new one and old one. then it shuts off and a message about fan not running pops up, and I have to shut it down, any ideas?
January 17, 2012 11:45:38 AM

Reset your BIOS settings and see how it goes? Do you have any external progrmas/hardware controlling your fan other than the BIOS? Sounds like your fan is broken but you have already replaced it so................? I can only think its the BIOS not controlling your fan correctly.
January 17, 2012 5:27:45 PM

How do I reset the BIOS?
Related resources
January 18, 2012 10:39:44 AM

Power on your laptop and press either F8 or F12 for Del to access your BIOS. I am not sure which button it will be to access your BIOS but it should tell you on the screen when the machine is booting. Once in the BIOS, look for BIOS 'default' settings or 'Restore Default seetings' or simalr. Once your BIOS is reset, see if it makes any difference.

If no change, we can investigate further. It would be handy to have the exact make and model of your machine, please provide spec and model info. Thanks.
January 21, 2012 1:41:58 PM

JRock247 said:
Power on your laptop and press either F8 or F12 for Del to access your BIOS. I am not sure which button it will be to access your BIOS but it should tell you on the screen when the machine is booting. Once in the BIOS, look for BIOS 'default' settings or 'Restore Default seetings' or simalr. Once your BIOS is reset, see if it makes any difference.

If no change, we can investigate further. It would be handy to have the exact make and model of your machine, please provide spec and model info. Thanks.

Second time responding here, first one didn't post, It is a Gateway M Series Model No. SA1. Hope this help. I really appreciate your input.
June 5, 2012 10:22:10 PM

I had the exact same problem. Here is what I did to resolve:

1) Remove the back cover and carefully vacuum out the fan area. On mine, there was A LOT of dust and lint. I also vaccuumed out the the outlet vent.

2) The problem persisted when I went to boot. However, if I shut down and removed the battery. On the next bootup it worked perfectly. No BIOS reset needed.
!