Please recommend a PSU

Hi there.

I would appreciate some help with picking a PSU for my new system. I dont have any special ones in mind.

My system:

Core i5 I5-750 8 MB
XFX Radeon HD 5850
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4
Corsair XMS3 2 x 2 GB
PC Case: Antec Performance One P182

Nothing special to say about my harddrives. I got 2. A WD which name I cant remember, and a Raptor harddrive.

No fancy cooling, only stock coolers.

Thanks for your help :)
12 answers Last reply
More about please recommend
  1. If you are sure you will only be using one XFX Radeon HD 5850 video card, then the Corsair VX 550 would be an appropriate choice. It is a high quality power supply with a single large +12 volt rail rated at 41 amps. It can easily power a system with any single video card made. Corsair power supplies have a reputaion for high quality. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are stable, relaible, and come with a 5 year warranty. The VX550 is currently available for $70.35 after mail in rebate. Unfortunately shipping is not free this week.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
  2. First of all, thanks for your replys. And thanks for that nice list saint :)

Johnny > According to ATIs site, HD5850 requires 2x6pin connectors.

That PSU you linked to got 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin. What does 6+2-Pin means? I've not that into PSUs
  3. The 6+2 pin PCI-Express connector can be used as either 6 pin or an 8 pin connector. The manufacturers came up with a way to cover both types of power connections with one cable.

The 6-pin is a 75 watt power connection. When using all 8 pins the 6+2 becomes a 150 watt power connection for power hungry video cards.

Here's a link to a typical 6+2 connector:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6plus2.jpg
  4. Okay. So when it says that it requires 2x6pin 75 watt, then those are good enough? Its okay that its over 75 watt?
  5. Yes - almost!

6 pin = 75 watts
    8 pin = 150 watts

For a video card requiring two, 75 watt, 6 pin, PCI-Express power connections you would plug in the standard 6 pin connector and the 6 pin portion of the 6+2 connector which keeps it at the standard 75 watts.

For a power hungry video card that requires an 8 pin connection you would plug in all 8 pins of the the 6+2 connector. The 2 extra pins increase power from 75 watts to 150 watts.
  6. A 6+2 pin is a modified pin connector. It has 6 pins and additional splitted 2 pins that you can use if the card demands it, otherwise dont.

http://images.google.com/images?q=6%20%2B%202%20pin%20connector&rls=com.microsoft:*&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi
  7. Johnny beat me to it.......
  8. Does any of you have that Corsair PSU? I need a PSU which cables are long enough to go from the bottom of my PC case and to the top of the motherboard :) My old PSU didnt have long enough cables for that :D
  9. JohnnyLucky said:

6 pin = 75 watts that's 3 hot and 3 ground leads
    8 pin = 150 watts that's 3 hot and 5 ground leads

This is a "Just when I thought I knew something about electronics ..." moment.

Can someone please tell me how adding 2 ground wires will double the available power from a connector? :o
  10. jsc - I'm experiencing the same senior moment. I'm trying very hard to remember. Doesn't it allow for an increase current?

1 6-pin PCI-e connector is capable of drawing +12V up to 6.25A (75 watts)

1 8-pin PCI-e connector is capable of drawing +12V up to 12.5A (150 watts)

It is part of the newer PCI-Express Version 2.0 specifications. I also remember something about being able to unlock Overclock in CCC.

Thought I was going to fry my brain on this one. :lol:
  11. Get Corsair HX620 or HX650.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product