Will a Dell 305W PSU Handle a Pentium D + 9800GT Eco?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi,

I wanted to put a Pentium D chip into my old Dell PC, for semi-gaming like MW2 and others for when friends come over so I can go LAN with them.

Now, the dell has a 305 stock PSU. It also has a Pentium 4 CPU. The Pentium D CPU I want to add needs 95W's of power to juice it. + Around 60W's for the GPU. Would the PSU blow out if trying to use the CPU/PSU on full load? The system has 4x512MB of DDR2 aswell.

Thanks!

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Delluser1 once told me it was 18A.

The official Nvidia recommendation for a system with the 9800GT video card is a 350 watt or greater power supply. Video card manufacturers typically recommend a higher wattage. For example, BFG recommends a 500 watt power supply.

Here is a link to a technical review showing actual system power consumption:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2688&cid=3&pg=9

Note - There are many different versions of the 9800GT and they have different power requirements.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

O sorry :) So just to confirm... A Pentium D 820 (100W) should also do fine with this setup... On this PSU? Also, when I switch out the CPU for my system, does it void the warrenty? It still has like 1 years warrenty on it.

Thanks.

First , what model Dell are we talking about again, the 520 ?

PD 805 system with 7800 GTX pulls 211watts from the wall
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2736&p=10

7800 GTX max power 100 watts ( your 9800 GT "Eco" can be no more than 75 watts max )
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=310&card2=

211 watts from the wall (AC) equals about 160 watts from the psu (DC), using 75% as the efficiency factor.
Shouldn't be a problem for the 305w.

You won't void the warranty, if you don't tell them about the upgrade and save the original chip.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi Delluser1.

Thanks for the post, that was really helpful. I do have one question though, not sure if this was the P4 bottlenecking the GPU or what. When I first installed the 9800GT Eco into the system, everything was fine with no problems. It even gamed good.

But then I noticed a problem, with MW and MW2 for example. The game would start to freeze, or become unstable. It would lag incredibly, and sometimes the whole PC would freeze up with no way to turn of the game, or operate to the Task Manager so I would have to switch of the PC from the mains, and back on again.

I was extremely concerned that it was the PSU that was under-powering the system. But I'm not superman with all this, was that the case?

PS: The system is a Dim-5100.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Jesus christ... I left the test running for 4 minutes and my GPU reached 75 degrees!! It's never gone above 45. What gives? Is this thing going to fry my whole PC or somthing?

I've never tried running it for an hour on such an old psu, I would think that 15 mins or so would be more than enough time for your system to glitch out the way you have described.

What gives? Is this thing going to fry my whole PC or somthing?
Going to ? Don't know, but it will try.
It's putting your components to work at max power, if it fails, you need a new psu.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Will dells warrenty cover for a new PSU? I would happily fry it on purpose :D (If you teach me how... :O) I paid 300 bucks warrenty and never used it. :(

TRENDING THREADS