Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking i5-2400

Last response: in Overclocking
January 17, 2012 2:32:12 AM

I'm new to overclocking, so please help me out here.
Detailed steps would be nice.

I have a i5-2400
ASUS P8P67 LE
3x120mm & 1x140mm Fans

(I don't want to do a lot of it, just a little)
Thanks in advance

More about : overclocking 2400

January 17, 2012 2:47:45 AM

I'm just warning you, I don't think it's possible to overclock that CPU much at all.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2012 2:24:27 PM

Hi Krostine,

Unfortunately, the 2400 comes with a locked multiplier. The only overclocking you'd be able to do is by adjusting the base frequency which I would not recommend. The base clock frequency can only be changed very slightly without causing complete system instability. The gains you would see by adjusting the base clock would not be worth the system instability.

If want to overclock, you would need one of the k series CPUs

m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 7:42:08 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'm wondering if there is anyway to make this computer faster?

I've already done those "how to make computer boot-up faster"

any changes I could do on the BIOS that is not risky?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2012 8:31:05 PM

The only ways to overclock a 2400 is by either adjust the BCLK/FSB or the turbo boost. The BCLK/FSB for the SB chips has been known to break things, so don't do that. :lol:  By adjusting the maximum turbo frequency, I have seen people get pretty decent clocks, but that is a little different than regular overclocking. If you wanted to OC, you should have gotten a 2500k with an unlocked multiplier.
m
l
January 17, 2012 8:40:04 PM

What is maximum turbo frequency?
Is it dangerous?
How can I do this?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2012 8:46:23 PM

I believe the maximum turbo is what you set it as. As for it being dangerous, yes. You are overclocking a computer, which is pretty dangerous compared to most computer things. Just set your turbo frequencies in the BIOS. Such as core #0 = 45, cores #0 and 1 = 44, cores #0,1, and 2 = 43, and cores #0,1, 2, and 3 = 42, or whatever you like. Adjust turbo voltage as needed.
m
l
January 17, 2012 8:53:58 PM

HostileDonut said:
I believe the maximum turbo is what you set it as. As for it being dangerous, yes. You are overclocking a computer, which is pretty dangerous compared to most computer things. Just set your turbo frequencies in the BIOS. Such as core #0 = 45, cores #0 and 1 = 44, cores #0,1, and 2 = 43, and cores #0,1, 2, and 3 = 42, or whatever you like. Adjust turbo voltage as needed.

eh, I have no idea what you're talking about.

All I know is how to get to the BIOS configuration.

I'm new to the whole thing :/ 

Is there a guide for this
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2012 9:27:22 PM

Do you know what a multiplier and BCLK/FSB is?????????
m
l
January 17, 2012 9:40:47 PM

HostileDonut said:
Do you know what a multiplier and BCLK/FSB is?????????

I don't know anything
:o 
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 9:49:49 PM

Leave BCLK alone. You can overclock non K series Sandy Bridge processors 4 "bins" over stock via the Turbo. In your case that would mean 3.5Ghz for 4 cores and up to 3.9Ghz for a single core. You need a motherboard that will support it but all you have to do is increase the multiplier. It will not allow you to set it above what the chip will support.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2012 9:52:43 PM

Oh my....... Okay, here it goes. :lol: 

The BCLK/FSB is what is known as the base clock or front side bus. You have that, which current AMD CPUs have a FSB of 200Mhz, and current Intel CPUs have a 100Mhz BCLK. (AMD calls their's FSB and Intel calls their's BLCK in the BIOS) Whatever that is multiplied by the multiplier gives you your speed. 100Mhz BCLK/FSB with a multiplier of 44 = ____? You guessed it, 4400Mhz! It is just like multiplying, because well, that IS what it is. The FSB/BCLK will also mess around with RAM and other things, so don't touch it, as it can really damage your CPU and/or board. LEAVE IT ALONE!

When OCing, you WILL have a 100Mhz BCLK on that 2400, which has a multiplier of __? 31! Because 31 x 100 gives you 3100! You also have a turbo multiplier. On full load, your CPU will operate with 3.1Ghz, with 3 cores, 3.2Ghz, 2 cores, 3.3Ghz, and 1 core, 3.4Ghz. So it turbos as it needs more power if the application only uses a certain amount of threads/cores.

What you are going to do it change that turbo core's multiplier. You have it set to . like I said, 1 core 34, 2 cores 33, 3 cores 32, and 4 cores 31. Change it to something like 1 core 36, 2 cores 35, 3 cores 34, and 4 cores 33. If it crashes add a little little extra turbo vcore voltage. It shouldn't crash though. Also, you will want a decent cooler to stay under temps! I really wouldn't suggest any of this without a "k" series CPU though.
January 17, 2012 10:03:22 PM

Best answer selected by Krostine123.
m
l
January 17, 2012 10:03:37 PM

HostileDonut said:
Oh my....... Okay, here it goes. :lol: 

The BCLK/FSB is what is known as the base clock or front side bus. You have that, which current AMD CPUs have a FSB of 200Mhz, and current Intel CPUs have a 100Mhz BCLK. (AMD calls their's FSB and Intel calls their's BLCK in the BIOS) Whatever that is multiplied by the multiplier gives you your speed. 100Mhz BCLK/FSB with a multiplier of 44 = ____? You guessed it, 4400Mhz! It is just like multiplying, because well, that IS what it is. The FSB/BCLK will also mess around with RAM and other things, so don't touch it, as it can really damage your CPU and/or board. LEAVE IT ALONE!

When OCing, you WILL have a 100Mhz BCLK on that 2400, which has a multiplier of __? 31! Because 31 x 100 gives you 3100! You also have a turbo multiplier. On full load, your CPU will operate with 3.1Ghz, with 3 cores, 3.2Ghz, 2 cores, 3.3Ghz, and 1 core, 3.4Ghz. So it turbos as it needs more power if the application only uses a certain amount of threads/cores.

What you are going to do it change that turbo core's multiplier. You have it set to . like I said, 1 core 34, 2 cores 33, 3 cores 32, and 4 cores 31. Change it to something like 1 core 36, 2 cores 35, 3 cores 34, and 4 cores 33. If it crashes add a little little extra turbo vcore voltage. It shouldn't crash though. Also, you will want a decent cooler to stay under temps! I really wouldn't suggest any of this without a "k" series CPU though.

Oh god, I can't believe you typed all that.

Thanks for your help, amazing person :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2012 10:22:56 PM

Haha! Thanks for the best answer! :)  Although, check out some full-fledged guides. They will REALLY help when you begin overclocking.
m
l
!