Corrupted Bios after putting to sleep

G

I think the title says it all. So I managed to get a stable 4.5 Ghz OC on my 2500k and I decided to put it to sleep a few hours ago (with the intention of going to sleep myself). Right after I put it to sleep, I realized I had forgot something and I tried to wake it up again. To my dismay, my comp got into a boot loop of sorts and would not turn back on; it kept shutting off and powering on repeatedly. I couldn't shut it off until I went to the psu and flipped the main switch. I turn it back on and to my horror, I got a bios checksum error (which if I read things correctly, means my bios was corrupted). Luckily, my Gigabyte mobo had a backup bios chip and it kicked in and took over bios functionality. Long story short, I've just spent the past few hours reflashing my primary bios chip and only succeeded about an hour ago (its 5:25 am atm). Anyone else run into this issue while overclocking. I've got a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 mobo, I flashed to the newest available bios and all so I'm not sure if it's a board specific problem. Any input would be of help.

Solution
<Sigh> It is definitely an overclocking issue. Try putting the BIOS back to stock and see if sleep works OK. I am able to only get 3.9GHz out of my ASUS UEFI P8P67 EVO mobo and have it sleep properly. Anything above that (and I can get 4.4 GHZ easily and have it run stably) and my BIOS gets corrupted when I try to resume from sleep.
I am thinking that it is due to the hard drives not coming back from sleep fast enough. I have tried it on Vertex 2 SSD and Hitachi 1TB hard drive with same result. AHCI vs. IDE does not fix it and nothing else I have done has fixed it. I doubt it is a power supply issue but it might be (even though I am only drawing half of its rated current)
Sorry bro, you have to crank it down or leave it running.

nna2

Distinguished
my asus bios gets a checksum error when im not putting nearly enough volts thru the chip (like stock volts on 3.6, stock 3.2)... did you try hard reseting it after getting the checksum error, thats always worked for me

G

Yea I did a hard reset. I dont get the checksum error anymore (considering I'm running everything bone stock now) but I'm wondering if putting my PC to sleep is not an option when overclocking. I want to know if this is a common problem and if so, why. I mean, it's fine when it happens to me cause I know there's some way to recover from it, but I'll be building my mom a desktop later this year, which I also plan to overclock, and I don't want this happening to her work computer.

Basically what I want to know is if overclocked systems cant be put into sleep mode cause, truth be told, this isnt the first time I've been unable to wake up from sleep after OCing on this mobo (this was just the first time the checksum error occurred).

Oh and as for the voltage I was putting through the 2500k, my Vcore was set to 1.365 V with Load Line Calibration set to level 6. I also had 1.175 V going through the VTT/QPI to support the memory controller while handling running with all dimm slots populated. It was very stable during stress testing; 12 hrs Prime 95 plus a few custom Prime 95 tests, 40 - 50 runs of IBT & LinX, 3D mark Vantage, Mark 11, and FurMark all passed, temps never exceeded 75 Celsius which is alright by my reckoning considering my case doesn't have the best air flow and cause I'm using a hyper 212+.

nna2

Distinguished
unfortunatly i dont have an intel platform to test this on :p
can you try doing a normal shutdown, then booting back in...
and also, my pc will shut off, then turn back on after making a big change in the bios (5+ changes, or turning somthing like core unlocker on/off)

G

I'll run some tests in the coming days, and get back to you. At the moment, I'm in final's week soo time is not in abundance =p

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
<Sigh> It is definitely an overclocking issue. Try putting the BIOS back to stock and see if sleep works OK. I am able to only get 3.9GHz out of my ASUS UEFI P8P67 EVO mobo and have it sleep properly. Anything above that (and I can get 4.4 GHZ easily and have it run stably) and my BIOS gets corrupted when I try to resume from sleep.
I am thinking that it is due to the hard drives not coming back from sleep fast enough. I have tried it on Vertex 2 SSD and Hitachi 1TB hard drive with same result. AHCI vs. IDE does not fix it and nothing else I have done has fixed it. I doubt it is a power supply issue but it might be (even though I am only drawing half of its rated current)
Sorry bro, you have to crank it down or leave it running.

Solution
G

Yes, it seems that way; I've been running it on stock clocks for a while now and I haven't had any issues. It could feasibly be my psu but I somehow doubt it. Bah humbug, how I have to choose between performance and efficiency (isnt that always the case) -.-

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Kas, Don't despair! 1st, you may be able to overclock up to a point (mine was <4GHz). the other thing that JUST happened was a BIOS update (a year after the board came out mind) that cleared up the sleep issue! What timing. I am now able to run at 4.3GHz and sleep like a baby...