Is it possible to run two different graphics cards simultaneously?

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I posted a thread yesterday asking about the hardware requirements of running Media Center on Win 7. I got no answer, which I seem to have a real problem with on this board, so I'll ask the question a different way.

Is it possible to run a different Nvidia card along with my GTX 275?

Current System:

i7 920
6GB Ram
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
GTX 275
Seasonic 850W PS

I am running dual displays off of my 275, so I have no more output ports. I'm getting Windows 7 in a couple days, and I want to be able to pause and record live tv from Windows 7, and I also want to be able to watch torrents (movies, tv shows, etc.) I've downloaded on my HDTV. I'm guessing I just run a USB cable from my cable box to my pc for the input side of t hings, but I need another graphics card to output HDMI to my HDTV.

Here is the card I was condsidering getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121320

It's an Asus Geforce 9600 GSO. It's cheap (45 after MIR) and hase a native HDMI output.

According to Nvidias website both my 275 and the 9 Series cards use the 191.07 drivers, so that has to help.

So, my two questions: 1) Is this what I need to do what I'm wanting to do? 2) Will this work? Or will the two separate cards cause problems?

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
No, you have to use the same model and make card in order to utilize SLI. You'll either need two 275's or two 9600GSO's. The driver's release date has no bearing on whether two different cards will work with eachother or not. With that said, a GTX275 is PLENNNTTYYY to watch and record live TV and watch torrented movies.

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
What you will need to use windows media center is a TV tuner card. If you use digital cable you'll need a digital tuner. If you use a satellite set top box you will need an analog.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
You didn't listen to what I said. I'm not running SLI. I completely understand SLI, and I have no desire to run SLI at this point (well it would be fun, but I'm not spending the money on another card). I simply need a second card because the two DVI ports in my 275 are being used by 2 displays, and I need an HDMI output to go to my HDTV to watch torrents and tv that I've recorded on Win 7 Media Center.

I don't need a tuner card because I'm not actually watching TV on my computer. I'm simply using my computer as a DVR, which I'm about 99% sure you can do with a Media Center OS and a USB connecting your cable box to your computer. I could be wrong on that one though.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

It will work.

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Ah, gotya. It wasn't totally clear so I assumed you were about to buy a 9600GSO as an 'upgrade' from your GTX275. Haha .. sorry about that.

Yeah, I assume it will work as well. I've seen people do this in the past .. so I don't see why the technology wouldn't carry over to our modern day goods. And the 9600GSO is probably plenty for simply watching movies and such.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yea, that's all it really needs to do is display to my TV. With it having native HDMI will that include sound? I am under the impression it will, but I can be a dummy at times when it comes to this stuff. I just want a cheap card that will work alongside my 275 to display audio and video via HDMI to my HDTV.

mrkhsm

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I know this is an OLD post, but I wanted to ask about a follow up. Did you get the two cards running ok? I am in a similar situation, and just need another video output that can play HD movies and TV. I dont want a crossfire or SLI setup at all. I just need another DVI or HDMI port.

From my reading elsewhere, I found that Win XP and 7 allow the system to use multiple display drivers at one, however windows Vista only allowed for one display driver to run... so with vista the cards had to use the same driver, and XP and 7 you should not be bounded by using two different cards with the same driver

So May I ask what your OS is and what your results were?

I have a GTX280 (driver 266.58)( currently driving two monitors) , and want to install a GT220 (also driver 266.58) for a third display (which i really only want to mirror my secondary, HTPC, display)...

So, did you have any luck, or do you have any suggestions? Thank you.