Can I reach stable 4.1 GHz on i5-2500 (non - K series processor)?

i5n00b

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Recently, I got a new PC that contains i5-2500 non - K edition CPU. While I was reading articles on the Internet involving this processor, I found out that it's possible to overclock this processor and to raise its base clock for about 400 MHz on one core using TurboBoost, while on another page I saw that it's possible to do something with the multiplier and to change its value from x37 up to x41, reaching 4.1 GHz on a single core. So my question is, what is the safest way to overclock this CPU, and what is its speed that I can expect? Unfortunately, I don't have that option to buy i5-2500K. My motherboard is Z68. Greetings!

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

1) Your CPU only can use Turbo boost for overclock
2) The overclock that you can do with the FSB is very limited ~10% - ~15%, so, no way to get the 4GHz for all cores.

i5n00b

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your reply! Yes, with turbo boost 3.8 GHz on one core, 3.7 GHZ on 2 cores etc... But I saw that people that were using this cpu were able to reach 4.1 ghz on a single core raising up socalled turbo multipliers, i think. I am an overclocking noob, but i'd really like to boost this sb cpu a little bit more :D

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
you will need to downclock your ram and then raise base clock to find out maximum of cpu

:lol: for this we can have a Intel overclocking club which will answer these type of question, what you think saint19 (i am waiting curiously)

stubbies2003

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
So the options are this people: a $200 CPU with 1C/1T running at 4.1GHz or a $200 CPU with 4C/4T running at 3.7GHz with turbo boost.

I don't see the point of have a high frequency with only a single core, but if you insist, go ahead and do it. Slow down your RAM frequency to keep it at stock frequency and get a good cooler.