Display Driver Stopped Working In Palit GTX 580 3 GB Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

shubhankar_venkatesh

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Hi.

I have been experiencing this problem since a month, that whenever I start playing a game (any game), my system display goes off for a few moments before coming back again. Every time this happens due to driver error message saying "Display Driver Nvidia 285.62 WHQ has stopped working and has recovered successfully" . This also happens when i start some kind of movie files, not all but some but most of them are AVI files or MPEG (*.mpg or *.mpeg) files.

My System configuration is:

Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
Intel Core i7 2600 Processor
MSI P67A-GD65 Motherboard
Palit GTX 580 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Transcend 4 GB 1333 MHZ (2*2GB) RAM
Corsair Gaming Series GS800 SMPS
NZXT Tempest EVO Gaming Cabinet

Please help. This problem has been nagging me for a long time.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Download the latest Nvidia driver, (which that may be), download Driver Sweeper from http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/, uninstall your Nvidia driver, restart your computer into safe mode, Run driver sweeper and do a clean for Nvidia display, remove all selected files, restart back into safe mode, install the newest Nvidia display driver (be sure it's for 64-bit Win 7), and test to see if the issue is fixed.

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hi shubhankar

You should do what digitalzom said and make sure you have the latest drivers for your card, and through windows update for the rest of your system.

However, the "stopped working and has been recovered" message is usually do to a hardware problem. Temp is a usual suspect, or a voltage that is too low for your clock speed if you are overclocking. Are you overclocking your card?

Download GPUz and check the temp of your GPU and report back here what you find.

shubhankar_venkatesh

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I am not overclocking the card. Dont have too. I ran the GPU-Z as you suggested me to. Under No gaming Condition Temperature is running at 42 deg C at 35% fan speed i.e 1100 RPM(approx) and GPU Load of 7-10%. Voltage is at 0.9630V While under gaming condition Temperature is around 64 deg C at 50% fan speed i.e. 2230 RPM (approx) GPU Load of 30% and Voltage is 1.00V.

Is that okay as per specifications under normal and gaming conditions. I have the latest set of drivers from NVIDIA which I mentioned above. I have not tried the solution Digital Zom-B yet.

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Your temps are good, and if you aren't overclocking your voltage should be fine.

You said this has been nagging you for a long time. Has this been a problem since before the latest driver update? You could try an older, more stable driver to see if that will fix the problem.

If not, you may have a hardware problem. How old is the card?

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
^That. However, I had this problem before with an older card, and it was because of a corrupted installation and left behind files from previous installs. Driver sweeper will remove any remaining files left behind from previous installations.

shubhankar_venkatesh

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Its just two months old and since i have migrated to Win 7 64 Bit then only the problem has started. Previously I was on Win7 32 bit, back then it was fine.. Any clues what might be wrong.

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Are you selecting the proper drivers from the download screen? Win 7 x64 as opposed to Win 7 x86?

It could be the card going bad too if you are sure that your windows installation is good and you are using the correct driver for your operating system. Once you have tried everything else, you may need to RMA your card for a replacement.

shubhankar_venkatesh

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I tried the method of Driver Sweeper. I also tried installing a previous version driver, result was the same. Driver crashes frequently as before. What can be the problem with the graphics card ?? Is it that the card has gone bad or was it bad since the beginning ?

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Try your 8600 in your system to see if you still have problems with system.

If you don't have problems with the 8600, there is a problem with your 580, if you still have problems with your system it could be another hardware issue. Motherobard, PSU.

It is most likely a problem with the card.

shubhankar_venkatesh

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I tried using my old card and it is working all fine not even a one time crash. All the games were running fine (offcourse at lowered details Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3). But the Palit GTX 580 3 GB Card was even crashing continously at lest 3 times even when i was opening Firefox 9 with 10 tabs. I guess that the card has gone bad ?? I it ?

shubhankar_venkatesh

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Wait wait... Isnt formatting the drive C, same as giving the card fresh installation like the uninstalling the driver then removing the card and re inserting the card and re-installing the driver ?? If not the should the steps be like this this:

1. remove the card
2. uninstall the drivers
3. re insert the card
4. re install the driver
all the steps in safe mode ?? Am i correct ??

Status
Not open for further replies.