pcnoob101

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Im thinking of getting a new case(NZXT BETA) to replace my inpiron 530 case which is cramped with wires, and a huge 4850. BUT the I/O panel CANNOT be removed from the case to put it on another case, so if i get the beta, i will be running the system with no rear panel. is that ok?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Probably just a keeping dust out thing. How sure are you that it can't be removed? Is it part of the metal of the case? I ask because I upgraded a HP computer with a different motherboard, and it was simply much much harder to get it off than I've seen before. I had to push at it fairly hard with a screwdriver and it finally gave up the ghost and came off. I had to try about as much to get the new one on too.

pcnoob101

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009

the e is made with the I/O panel.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

Probably just an IDIOT thing...It's part of the motherboard ground-plane with the case... No, it's not absolutely needed, though it does support the I/O ports, so don't push too hard...

You really deserve a straight answer lol. That panel does three things:

1) Yes, it keeps dust out and provides a clean look for the back of the case.

2) It provides a shield to minimize the radiation of "radio waves" that could theoretically cause interference with other devices, and

3) It ensures that each external connector - and therefore every device plugged into one of those ports - is connected to the SAME ground as the case. IOW, everyone's zero volts is actually the same "zero".

If you have any issues with any device plugged into the back - like a strange hum from your speakers - you really can make your own shield out of aluminum foil. Odds are you won't have any problem at all.

Silver Wolf

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
It is best to use the i/o shield but it is not required. I run 2 desktops with no i/o shields and one with no sides to the case. They run fine and have no issues - except the open case has more dust than normal but no side panels and no i/o shield on the case so it is expected.

It will run fine, but for looks you will likely want to get one for it later.