Sign in with
Your question

Do I need a rear I/O panel?

Last response: in Systems
October 8, 2009 5:48:29 AM

Im thinking of getting a new case(NZXT BETA) to replace my inpiron 530 case which is cramped with wires, and a huge 4850. BUT the I/O panel CANNOT be removed from the case to put it on another case, so if i get the beta, i will be running the system with no rear panel. is that ok?

More about : rear panel

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2009 7:03:57 AM

yes it is

but if visit your local computer repair shop they may have a selection of i/o shields spare
October 8, 2009 7:15:48 AM

yes it is needed or ok to not have one?
Related resources
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2009 7:17:51 AM

You should have one, but it's not really needed.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2009 3:55:20 PM

Probably just a keeping dust out thing. How sure are you that it can't be removed? Is it part of the metal of the case? I ask because I upgraded a HP computer with a different motherboard, and it was simply much much harder to get it off than I've seen before. I had to push at it fairly hard with a screwdriver and it finally gave up the ghost and came off. I had to try about as much to get the new one on too.
October 8, 2009 10:32:37 PM

False_Dmitry_II said:
Probably just a keeping dust out thing. How sure are you that it can't be removed? Is it part of the metal of the case? I ask because I upgraded a HP computer with a different motherboard, and it was simply much much harder to get it off than I've seen before. I had to push at it fairly hard with a screwdriver and it finally gave up the ghost and came off. I had to try about as much to get the new one on too.

the e is made with the I/O panel.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2009 2:33:13 AM

Run without it. If you notice your TV looks fuzzy or your Dad's pacemaker acts funny when he uses the computer, make your own EMI shield out of aluminum foil. :) 
October 9, 2009 2:37:04 AM

False_Dmitry_II said:

Probably just an IDIOT thing...It's part of the motherboard ground-plane with the case... No, it's not absolutely needed, though it does support the I/O ports, so don't push too hard...
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2009 3:17:21 AM

You really deserve a straight answer lol. That panel does three things:

1) Yes, it keeps dust out and provides a clean look for the back of the case.

2) It provides a shield to minimize the radiation of "radio waves" that could theoretically cause interference with other devices, and

3) It ensures that each external connector - and therefore every device plugged into one of those ports - is connected to the SAME ground as the case. IOW, everyone's zero volts is actually the same "zero".

If you have any issues with any device plugged into the back - like a strange hum from your speakers - you really can make your own shield out of aluminum foil. Odds are you won't have any problem at all.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2009 3:54:26 AM

I run a P5K-E premium without the I/O shield. Everything works fine. I get a bit of dust on the ports in the back, but I dust my computer out fairly often so not really a problem.
!