Do I need a rear I/O panel?

Im thinking of getting a new case(NZXT BETA) to replace my inpiron 530 case which is cramped with wires, and a huge 4850. BUT the I/O panel CANNOT be removed from the case to put it on another case, so if i get the beta, i will be running the system with no rear panel. is that ok?
10 answers Last reply
More about rear panel
  1. yes it is

but if visit your local computer repair shop they may have a selection of i/o shields spare
  2. yes it is needed or ok to not have one?
  3. You should have one, but it's not really needed.
  4. Probably just a keeping dust out thing. How sure are you that it can't be removed? Is it part of the metal of the case? I ask because I upgraded a HP computer with a different motherboard, and it was simply much much harder to get it off than I've seen before. I had to push at it fairly hard with a screwdriver and it finally gave up the ghost and came off. I had to try about as much to get the new one on too.
  5. False_Dmitry_II said:
    Probably just a keeping dust out thing. How sure are you that it can't be removed? Is it part of the metal of the case? I ask because I upgraded a HP computer with a different motherboard, and it was simply much much harder to get it off than I've seen before. I had to push at it fairly hard with a screwdriver and it finally gave up the ghost and came off. I had to try about as much to get the new one on too.

the e is made with the I/O panel.
  6. Run without it. If you notice your TV looks fuzzy or your Dad's pacemaker acts funny when he uses the computer, make your own EMI shield out of aluminum foil. :)
  7. False_Dmitry_II said:
    Probably just a keeping dust out thing. How sure are you that it can't be removed? Is it part of the metal of the case? I ask because I upgraded a HP computer with a different motherboard, and it was simply much much harder to get it off than I've seen before. I had to push at it fairly hard with a screwdriver and it finally gave up the ghost and came off. I had to try about as much to get the new one on too.

Probably just an IDIOT thing...It's part of the motherboard ground-plane with the case... No, it's not absolutely needed, though it does support the I/O ports, so don't push too hard...
  8. You really deserve a straight answer lol. That panel does three things:

1) Yes, it keeps dust out and provides a clean look for the back of the case.

2) It provides a shield to minimize the radiation of "radio waves" that could theoretically cause interference with other devices, and

3) It ensures that each external connector - and therefore every device plugged into one of those ports - is connected to the SAME ground as the case. IOW, everyone's zero volts is actually the same "zero".

If you have any issues with any device plugged into the back - like a strange hum from your speakers - you really can make your own shield out of aluminum foil. Odds are you won't have any problem at all.
  9. I run a P5K-E premium without the I/O shield. Everything works fine. I get a bit of dust on the ports in the back, but I dust my computer out fairly often so not really a problem.
  10. It is best to use the i/o shield but it is not required. I run 2 desktops with no i/o shields and one with no sides to the case. They run fine and have no issues - except the open case has more dust than normal but no side panels and no i/o shield on the case so it is expected.

It will run fine, but for looks you will likely want to get one for it later.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cases Systems