Sign in with
Your question

790FX or P55 chipset?

Last response: in CPUs
December 26, 2009 6:17:37 AM

Im a bit puzzled about choosing between an AMD PhenomII 955 or an Intel Core i5, namely because of their corresponding motherboards. The best AM3 board available uses the AMD 790FX chipset, with two x16 PCIe2.0 slots, compared to the Intel P55 chipset which only comes with two x8 PCIe2.0 slots (x16 for single slot use). My target system would be a Radeon 5850 crossfire, and Im slightly worried that despite the Core i5's edge over the PhenomII 955, i wont be getting the best out of dual Radeon 5850's. Community input is very welcome!

More about : 790fx p55 chipset

a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 8:44:52 AM

You will lose some performance, not a lot but some depending on the game. The i5 doesn't have an edge over the 955 in gaming, if anything it's the other way around. Again, there is not a lot in it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 1:01:42 PM

though at the same hand, the 5850 losing only about 2% performance on pci-e 2 x8

if you are only gaming, get what is cheaper (usually the AMD build), if you know you will be doing some cpu heavy tasks (video encoding), get the i5
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2009 1:31:58 AM

Okay, some more stuff to ponder: Considering the Phenom system is only *slightly* more expensive than the Core i5, which one would perform better with gaming on stock voltage overclocking? I know its a tough question to ask considering the fact that different games behave differently due to driver issues. I was really bent on buying the Phenom system until I saw the benchmarks for the i5 flogging the Phenom in just about everything!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2009 3:12:50 AM

Quote:
Stock voltage overclocking? Why even overclock then if your not going to push it?

For a free performance increase of course.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2009 3:28:59 AM

Djanarak said:
Im a bit puzzled about choosing between an AMD PhenomII 955 or an Intel Core i5, namely because of their corresponding motherboards. The best AM3 board available uses the AMD 790FX chipset, with two x16 PCIe2.0 slots, compared to the Intel P55 chipset which only comes with two x8 PCIe2.0 slots (x16 for single slot use). My target system would be a Radeon 5850 crossfire, and Im slightly worried that despite the Core i5's edge over the PhenomII 955, i wont be getting the best out of dual Radeon 5850's. Community input is very welcome!

The Core i5 will not be tangibly faster than the Phenom II in gaming, but will have a slight lead in non-gaming apps. The Core i5 can usually go from 2.6-3.6 GHz without a voltage increase. The Core i5, or rather its chipset the P55, can support SLI as well as CFX which the Phenom II can not match. That said, the Phenom II is a little cheaper.
m
l
!