Sign in with
Your question

What can/should I salvage off of dimension 8400 on 1st new build?

Last response: in Systems
October 8, 2009 7:33:18 AM

So I am gonna attempt my first homebuild in the next few months and was wondering what can and/or should I salvage off of my Dell Dimension 8400 pc. I am planning on just doing a mid-range build. I know some of you will say nothing and do a clean build, but I am looking to save as much money as I can. I know already that I will need a completely new case and mobo/CPU(ofcourse), but was wondering what else I can use out of it. I was planning on keeping the hdd, dvdrom, DDR2 RAM, and video card. Keep in mind that i was planning on keeping these just for awhile and upgrade down the line. Also I think I remember reading somewhere that the pins in the connectors of dell PCs are in a different order or something so that you have to buy replacement parts from dell, is this true?
October 8, 2009 8:18:40 AM

There should be no problem re-using the HDD and DVD rom.

What capacity and speed is that RAM i.e. 1GB 533Mhz ?

What video card is it and what will you be using the new PC for?
m
l
October 8, 2009 8:25:20 AM

Ram: 2x1 gig 800mhz
Im planning on gettin a mobo that uses ddr2 and ddr3 for upgrading down the road.

video card: ati radeon hd 4550, not the best but should be alright for awhile

Not gonna be using it for anything fancy, some gaming
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2009 5:01:40 PM

I think you can keep everything you planned to keep - DVD, HDD, RAM, and GPU.

All of those should run fine, and you already have in mind to upgrade them in the future.

Those are the only things you could really salvage from a Dell anyway :) . Atleast you had a discrete vid card, as some have a crazy little onboard thingy- looks like RAM, but nope, just a silly vid card.
m
l
October 8, 2009 11:32:31 PM

tyler2time said:
Also I think I remember reading somewhere that the pins in the connectors of dell PCs are in a different order or something so that you have to buy replacement parts from dell, is this true?

Not really, fan pinouts are different on some but it's simple enough to swap pin placement if you wanted to use the Dell fan on a standard board.
I used everything possible from my D8400 ; GPU/ HD's/ Ram/ OD's/ CPU and the power switch, on an Intel 955 BTX board, topped the cpu off with the HSF from a D9200.
m
l
!