Sign in with
Your question

Final System Build Checklist

Last response: in Systems
October 8, 2009 11:58:22 AM

Hi everyone.

Ok i have read the stickies and changed a previous configuration i had to the one below. Thanks for the advice.

I have sent an order through for the components already but have not sent any money yet, will be doing so when they confirm the postage costs in next couple days.
First time building a pc so i just need to know if there are any conflicts in the components i have chosen, please see below. Im pretty sure everything is ok but i need some experts to look and just confirm please.
Will be playing few games, mid range resolution on a 24inch. Mainly used for rendering applications, 3DS MAX, MAYA.

Will the Radeon be ok with this motherboard in terms of Crossfire later on. Its says Sli certified but i think i read somewhere that Crossfire works ok too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Western Digital 500G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD(16Mb Cache) @$59.001

OCZ StealthXstream 500W SLI Ready Power Supply @$89.001

CoolerMaster Centurion RC331 Elite Black with No Power Supply(RC-331-K @$59.001

Sapphire HD4770 DDR5 512MB @$139.001

Pioneer SATA DVR218L 22X DVD Black & Cyberlink @$54.001

ASUS P7P55D-LE P55 DDR3 RAID GLAN SATA 2xPCIEx16 ATX @$159.001

Intel Core i5 750 Processor LGA1156 2.66GHz 8MB Cache CPU @$249.001

G Skill 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 9-9-9-24 @$118.50

TOTAL $926.50 (Australian dollar)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 8, 2009 1:08:00 PM

Crossfire works too.
P7P55D LE is not ideal candidate for Crossfire with its 2nd x16 slot running at x4.
It will work - but at a reduced efficiency.
You'll have to look hard at the cost/performance benefit of adding a 2nd 4770 or just grabbing a single more powerful graphics card.
m
l
October 8, 2009 2:53:35 PM

Thnx for your reply.

I knew the 2nd slot only ran at x4 which is actually pretty stupid if you ask me. Why didn't they just make it x16? The cost can't be that much more to manufacture.
I have chosen this motherboard becasue its cheap and reviews are pretty good. The price for a dif mobo with x16 support for both slots put me over my budget.

What i have discovered though is that the power supply only has 4pin power connector and my motherboard has 8. I read that you can apparently just connect the 4 to the 8 but i would much rather it all fit nicely. Should i change my order and power supply?

Thnx again.
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2009 6:15:39 PM

The OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU has the 8pin connector and is about the same price.

At newegg its actually cheaper after MIR, but it seems that wont help you.
m
l
October 8, 2009 9:07:29 PM

floorplay said:
What i have discovered though is that the power supply only has 4pin power connector and my motherboard has 8. I read that you can apparently just connect the 4 to the 8 but i would much rather it all fit nicely.
You're correct that using the 4pin ATX Aux power lead in the 8 hole EPS connector won't be a major issue.
Also you only have 1 PCI-e power connector for the 4770 but you can use a Molex to PCI-e connector for a 2nd 4770.
Just make sure you choose a 2nd 4770 with that connector in the accessory pack.
Example: Sapphire 100277L HD 4770 accessory pack.

But with 2 small issues with that PSU - maybe you'll want to look for another in the same price range?
OCZ StealthXStream 500 W Power Supply Review
m
l
October 9, 2009 3:39:43 AM

Hey thnx alot guys appreciated your help.

I changed my order and went with the OCZ Fatal1ty 550W. It has the 8pin ATX Aux as stated by DNDHATCHER along with a few extra cables. Has modular cabling too.
Was thinking about switching the mobo, doesn't sound to be all that great i know but not all that bad either so i figure ill give it a go . For a budget board i think it should serve me ok, i hope, time will tell.

Everything should be here in 4 working days, so until then, thnx again.
m
l
October 10, 2009 11:19:36 AM

Hi again pple.

Have a couple more questions if i may ask.

Not sure what OS i should buy for this new system. Have been using XP forever and would like to maybe use Windows 7 for the new build. Would possibly like to use the 64bit version as it will be the future but is now a good time to change? Feeling reluctant to do so for the lack of compatability with software and drivers still at hand? Whats it like out their using a 64bit at the moment? Only have the 4GB of memory, so maybe just stick with 32bit version for the time being u think?
I was thinking it may be a good idea to install XP first only to get the system up and running as im very familiar with it then making the change to Windows 7 after that. If i did use windows XP 32bit for the os and don't upgrade to Windows 7 after, would this be a major disadvantage in terms of performance as compared to what Windows 7 32bit could offer?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thnx.
m
l
October 11, 2009 2:40:42 AM

Windows 7 64bit. On a machine of this caliber even Vista 64 would run nice. XP traps you at DX9 and I do find the DX10 frills added to my games is worth it.
m
l
October 18, 2009 1:43:08 AM

Thnx hatcher.

Yeah my question was really a no brainer after thinking about it a little, Windows 7 64bit 4 sure, just waiting for the final release.

I have already built the system. It was fun i must admit. Was expecting to see sparks and smoke after pressing the power button but it all worked first go. Couldn't believe it.

Have posted a photo of the inside if your interested to see.

Seems to working ok but i did a Pass mark test and although it was the second fastest in comparison to other systems it seems to be very much under par. The computer which was fastest was a dual core 2.6ghz or something like that. Maybe the test wasn't accurate but is there anything i can to do get the maximun performance out of the machine without overclocking and doing the basics like updating bios and drivers?

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5574/pa170029.jpg

m
l
October 18, 2009 6:55:12 AM

I just have to right back and say i was wrong about the benchmark testing. I used an old version and after using Passmark Performance Test Version 7 i got a much better score of 1650. My old Pentium 4 2.53ghz scored 261 for a comparison.
m
l
October 18, 2009 3:25:11 PM

I'd get some twist ties and tie down some of those snakes wriggling around in there. ;) 

Seriously though you dont want them in a position they could drop down into a fan or touch any component.
m
l
October 19, 2009 5:12:18 AM

Thnx for the tip, was thinking it was looking a little untidy in there. Will fix it all up tonight.

Thnx again.
m
l
!