Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External Hard Drive
  • Format
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 17, 2011 3:49:33 AM

Hello,
I got an external hard drive and didn't realise I had to format it, after a week I have cut and paste all my movies, music etc but I can't get open them, because I need to format the hard drive, is there a way I can get my stuff off and save it from being deleted?

More about : format external hard drive files

a b G Storage
August 17, 2011 4:04:02 AM

Hi, Rachel.

What kind of drive? Used with what kind of computer?

I have never seen a commercial external hard drive (as opposed to one you built yourself) that wasn't preformatted.

I am not sure what your problem is, but it is not lack of formatting. If the drive weren't formatted, you would not be able to write anything at all to it.

What is happening exactly?
m
l
a c 324 G Storage
August 17, 2011 4:05:45 PM

It sounds like you copied data to the drive at one time, and now when you attach the drive you get a message stating that you need to format the drive. Is this the case?

If so, your drive was formatted when you copied data to it, and some disaster has corrupted or destroyed the information that describes partitions and / or format. If you reformat, you will do damage to whatever remains on the drive. Again, if what I described is the case, you need to use recovery tools (or go to your backups if you have them).

Can you either provide confirmation of my guess or a better description of the sequence of events and why you "need to format the hard drive?" Thank you.
m
l
August 24, 2011 1:58:14 AM

My Passport USB 2.0- Western Digital 500 GB. My computer is a compaq and runs windows 7.
The instructions didn't say that I needed to format it which is what is annoying me even more, I called them and they said the problem happens a lot when customers don't format the USB, I wanted to scream because the instructions didn't say to format it, grrrrrrrrr.

So what happened was it was working fine, over a week span I put 250 GB of movies, photos, music and T.V shows. My brother looked it up and said that I put too much on it or something in a short time and that files started to get deleted automatically, he got a software that recovers deleted data and we found out that some of my files had been deleted.

At the start I could open my passport, but when I clicked on the files my computer froze and than said I need to format it.
Now it doesn't show in my computer but shows in the remove devices safely.

jsc said:
Hi, Rachel.

What kind of drive? Used with what kind of computer?

I have never seen a commercial external hard drive (as opposed to one you built yourself) that wasn't preformatted.

I am not sure what your problem is, but it is not lack of formatting. If the drive weren't formatted, you would not be able to write anything at all to it.

What is happening exactly?

m
l
Related resources
!