Sign in with
Your question

Swiching from P35 to P45-based mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2010 3:46:13 PM

Hi,

I'm planning to switch from an Asus PK5C mobo (based on P35 + ICH9) to a PQ5C (based on P45 + ICH10). The system is running Windows XP 32-bit + SP3. Reinstalling Windows and all the user applications is not an option. Searching in the web, I've found out there are very diverse approaches. Some people suggest just to revert the IDE drivers to the basic default ones included with the OS. Other go through a recovery or upgrade (?) procedure involving booting from the WinXP CD-ROM.
Since the chipsets of both involved mobos are so closely related, I wonder if I may go thru a simplified procedure, and not to expect major issues.

Any advice or hint please? Anybody has performed such an upgrade?

Thank you in advance,

JAMM
a c 135 V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 4:22:47 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
hmm,is there a specific reason to upgrade from P35 to P45 ? because the difference between the 2 chipsets aren't much the main difference is only that P45 supports CrossFire at dual 8x mode,aside from that there isn't any major difference
March 28, 2010 4:34:18 PM

Thank you for your reply.

The reason for switching is the P5KC mobo and its shortcomings, not the P35 chipset itself. It does not support DDR3 @1333 MHz as stated (needed to slow down to 1111 MHz), has some annoying issues (from to time, the system doesn't boot for no apparent/traceable reason) and finally it comes with only 4 SATA ports (I need 5 ports at least). Also it sports an unreliable JMicron PATA/eSATA controller. Apparently, the P5QC got rid of these limitations and flaws. Or so I hope.
Related resources
a c 135 V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 6:17:22 PM

well upgrading to a socket 775 motherboard isn't a good choice right now because socket 775 CPUs aren't produced anymore so you may want to upgrade the whole system completely (get a i5/i7 CPU or AMD Phenom II CPUs)
March 28, 2010 7:19:46 PM

You may not run into any issues with the upgrade, but, yes, you should switch the hard drive to the Intel default drivers before doing the switch. That helps guarantee the drive will boot. When I've done a move, I uninstall the old motherboard's drivers (chipset, audio if different, storage controllers) beforehand and have a copy of the new ones on my C drive to install as soon as I boot with the new board.

Sometimes, you still have to run the WinXP repair/reinstall (not a true reinstall, just the system drivers), but you might luck out since you are using similar chipsets and the same brand.

March 29, 2010 5:56:05 PM

Maziar said:
well upgrading to a socket 775 motherboard isn't a good choice right now because socket 775 CPUs aren't produced anymore so you may want to upgrade the whole system completely (get a i5/i7 CPU or AMD Phenom II CPUs)

In fact, I got the P5QC board some months ago, but for one or other reason I haven't found the moment to do the swapping. And I'm afraid I can't afford an upgrade to a i5/i7-based system right now.

March 29, 2010 6:08:00 PM

branflakes71 said:
You may not run into any issues with the upgrade, but, yes, you should switch the hard drive to the Intel default drivers before doing the switch. That helps guarantee the drive will boot. When I've done a move, I uninstall the old motherboard's drivers (chipset, audio if different, storage controllers) beforehand and have a copy of the new ones on my C drive to install as soon as I boot with the new board.

Many thanks for your reply. Going back to the default IDE driver seems to be a constant in each and every thread about the mobo swapping subject. The last I've found out elaborates a bit more about this topic. Maybe it's a bit old post, but basically it still applies.

Sometimes, you still have to run the WinXP repair/reinstall (not a true reinstall, just the system drivers), but you might luck out since you are using similar chipsets and the same brand. said:
Sometimes, you still have to run the WinXP repair/reinstall (not a true reinstall, just the system drivers), but you might luck out since you are using similar chipsets and the same brand.

Can you please be more explicit about this last point? Hope not to be so out of luck, but you'd better be prepared for the unexpected.
March 29, 2010 6:14:05 PM

This link will give you the steps:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you have to do this step, you will have to reinstall all Service Packs and Windows Updates. The key is that once you go into "Setup Windows XP" from your CD, there is a choice to "repair" the setup that already exists.

And to be safe, backup your computer before doing any uninstalling.
March 30, 2010 2:06:36 PM

branflakes71 said:
This link will give you the steps:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you have to do this step, you will have to reinstall all Service Packs and Windows Updates. The key is that once you go into "Setup Windows XP" from your CD, there is a choice to "repair" the setup that already exists.

And to be safe, backup your computer before doing any uninstalling.

Great link! Very valuable information about repairing Win XP and related topics. Thanks a lot, man.
March 30, 2010 4:48:45 PM

Good luck with the new board!
!