Core i5-750
EVGA p55
8MB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1333
2 GeForce GTX 260's SLI
Corsair 850TX
WD Caviar Black 1TB
WD Raptor 150GB

The problem:
Periodically (about once an hour) my WD Raptor 150GB will peg for no reason I can ascertain. The system slows to a crawl: I can't open TaskManager, icons do nothing when clicked, etc. Then, after 10-15 minutes, everything snaps back to normal, and all the things I tried to do while it was slow (all the programs I attempted to start, all the buttons I clicked, etc.) execute all at once. If the slowdown happens while I'm in the middle of a game, certain ambient sounds will cut in and out every couple of seconds, but otherwise everything in the game will freeze.

What I've tried:
--Checked my HDD temp: constant 42C, never changes even under load.
--Turned off antivirus, etc.
--Ran msconfig.exe and did a selective start with various services and startup processes turned off.
--Ran Win7 Resource Monitor. No clear indication that a particular process is causing the disk activity. CPU load doesn't appear to be especially high during these slowdowns.
--Tried Sysinternals Process Monitor, but there was too much information coming too quickly for me to draw any conclusions.

I've seen complaints that SuperFetch can cause slowdowns, but I can't believe it would cause a slowdown this dramatic. The system becomes basically unusable for 10-15 minutes at a time, repeatedly throughout the day.

Any ideas?