Lower than Advertised Memory Speed

Yanos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Greetings,

This isn't the typical overclocking memory question given my situation.

Here's the System Spec's:
Intel DX58OG / BIOS Version 0876
Intel Core i7-960 @ 3.8gHz (200x19) / Corsair Hydro H60
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3T1BK6/24GX, 24GB (6x4GB) / 8-8-8-22 / @1201mHz
KINGWIN ABT-610MM 610W
PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Western Digital WD6000HLHX 6Gb/s 10000RPM
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

I am overclocking my system, as the system spec's indicate.

The Problem: I would like to have the memory run at 1600mHz as per the advertised memory kit suggests, however I cannot get my system to pass POST when i try to bring the memory frequency above the value listed above, at 1200mHz. I can certainly live with the frequency and timing, but I would prefer to be running at the advertised 1600 / 9-9-9-27 as the kit advertises.

Note that I have a total of 6 sticks installed, the max amount for this board.

I have had success getting the system to boot & stable with stress tests with the above memory configuration (1200mHz / 8-8-8-22 ) with the following voltages: V-DRAM = 1.525V , V-UNCORE = 1.400V

Whenever I bring the voltage to the DRAM over a certain level or farther than about 0.05V from the UNCORE/QPI voltage, the system won't pass POST. This condition is true up to 1.625V/1.575V, but then when I bring it up any higher it's a complete wash, no pass POST regardless of my settings.

Can anyone offer some suggestions of what I might try to get this set of RAM up to higher speeds?

Thanks!

Yanos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
then RiDdLe me this: I have also tried getting this memory up to the 1600mHz advertised speed with the CPU at stock & default settings, and have run into the same problem. Won't pass POST, hangs at code 68, which according to Intel is "Reserved for Future Use (wtf?)" I have also chatted with an intel support representative regarding this code, and when the makers of the board can't tell you why your POST process is going thru 3 separate codes that are in this category, you know you're in uncharted territory. :eek:

Ultimately I think the non-boot no post issue is related to the Uncore/QPI voltage due to the fact that I have all 6 slots of memory filled. Intel lists a voltage max of 1.35V for this value, but it is clearly not enough as the memory tests fail when i do stress tests for them at a value less than 1.4V.

jemm

Distinguished
You can not get 24GB ram running properly on a X58 plataform at 1600Mhz, as it is too much load for the integrated memory controller to handle. The maximum you could get to run stabled at 1600Mhz is 6GB ram.

As you are attempting to OC the CPU then you must downclock your ram. When you change a value in a X58 plataform, other values will automatically change too. OC in a X58 is different from other plataforms.

If you are wiiling to keep 24GB ram, then downclock it to 1333Mhz.