Sign in with
Your question

Vast difference in transfer speeds via network

Last response: in Networking
November 1, 2009 5:02:24 PM

I have set up a small media player, with connected external hdd (WDTVLive). I want to be able to transfer media files from my PC in an adjoining room over to the external storage drive attached to it. The WDTVLive can either do wireless N or ethernet cable. I have tried it both ways, and can see the drive & move files to it. I am connecting to it via a new Belkin N+ router (with gigabit ports) and a Dlink N usb dongle connected to the WD.
My issue is the vast difference in transfer speeds between the two. If I move a file from my PC over to the WD, the fastest speed is about 140 KB/s. However , if I move a file from the WD drive back to my PC, the speed jumps to 7 Mbits/s !!
Why is the transfer speed so radically different between them? I was on the phone for 2 hours yesterday w/ Belkin tech support & no answer was found. I turned off the the router's firewall, tried the transfer with my avast A/V shut off, etc etc, nothing will improve the transfer speed. I'm using XP Pro SP3.
I reconnected my old faithful US Robotics MAXg router this morning, & have the same issue , moving out to the WD drive = 140KB/s, the other way almost 7 Mbits/s. Can anyone advise what I can do before I pull out the few hairs I have left on my head?
November 2, 2009 12:28:28 PM

no one? =(
m
l
November 2, 2009 12:38:46 PM

What speeds to you get if you connect the drive directly to your computer via usb?
When you say "small media player". Is this another computer or what?
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2009 12:50:10 PM

When the router is taken out of the mix, speeds are fine both ways ( can't measure them directly, as my DUMeter shows only xfer speed thru the nic, an onboard Realtek gigbit LAN port.)
The media player is a WDTVLive .
http://www.wdtvlive.com/products/wdtv_live#highlights

It has both USB & ethernet outputs.
m
l
November 2, 2009 3:13:26 PM

Also , I returned the Belkin router yesterday, and reconnected my trusty US Robotics MaxG router, and still see the same issue, media transfers faster in from the external drive/WDTVLive than the reverse. I checked in the System/Hardware under the network adapter in my PC for any settings that might help, but wasn't too sure what to look for. I also updated to the latest Realtek drivers, but nothing changed. Others have told me that they see pretty much equal speeds going to & from the same setup as I have , so it must be something in how my network is set up? WD includes a small app to map the external drive, which worked fine, I can see the drive under Windows Explorer. It is probably something simple, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out.
m
l
November 4, 2009 2:20:56 AM

Got in a new DLink DIR-655 router, which does the exact same thing. I tried a different hhd at the WDTVLive end, same thing.
153KB/s out from the PC to the WDTVLive, 7Mbits/s the other way.

So noone can suggest anything to took for, test or change to fix this? :o 
m
l
November 4, 2009 4:22:47 PM

What is the nic speed on the WDTVlive? I didn't see it listed on the website.
Try hard setting the link speed to match what the router will do and hard set it also.
m
l
November 4, 2009 4:49:39 PM

I'm pretty sure it's only 100mbps. Not sure what you meant by "hard setting the link speed". Since the WD box has no access to it's OS , I assume you meant at the PC end, but not sure on how to do this.

And thank you for your reply! :hello: 
m
l
November 4, 2009 5:32:58 PM

Quote:
Since the WD box has no access to it's OS

That's what I was wondering.

Have you contacted WD about this. Being that you have the same problem on multiple brand routers it could just be something with the WD unit.
m
l
November 4, 2009 6:51:19 PM

This model just came out about a month ago, so people are still getting used to using it. There have been complaints about it, but none that I can find about transfer speeds to it (they are mostly about not being able to set up & use shares with it).
I happen to be a beta tester for it, so I got one early, and didn't think much about the slow speeds till I saw what others were getting, so there are folks who have more or less "normal" thruput to & from the box. I'm not expecting to see 7Mbits, but even 1 mbit would make me happy.
I guess my next step is to go thru all the setting on the dlink & see if I can find a clue there.
I wish I had another device that I could use to replace the WD box, just to see if speeds improve at all with it. oh well
m
l
!