DCOM/RPC problem after WinXP SP2 install

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

After installation of SP2 on a WinXP Pro machine I am getting DCOM/RPC
errors.

When I try running almost any installer I get:

"The InstallShield Engine(ikernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC
server is unavailable."

The RPC server IS running.

I tried running "dcomcnfg" to see what the settings were there, but whenever
I double-click on "Computers" under "Component Services" the entire
Component Services window winks out of existence (closes, crashes, whatever
you want to call it, it disappears).

I've only seen this on one of eight machines I've applied SP2 to so I don't
think it's an intended SP2 effect.

Any ideas how I might fix this or where else I might look for help?

--
Warren Massey
Massey4@LLNL.Gov

    My problem is almost identical, except my ikernel.exe error is slightly
    different. Istead of the RPC stuff, I just get "access is denied". I've
    tried all of the installshield fixes (reregistering misexec, making sure the
    path is correct in regedit, deleting temp files, etc. When I attempt to
    select my computer in dcomcnfg, the window just winks out of existence, like
    you said.

    Also, this computer came preinstalled with XP service pack 2, but we're on a
    network with a Windows 2000 server, if that has any bearing on anything.

    Any help for us out there?

    "Warren Massey" wrote:

    > After installation of SP2 on a WinXP Pro machine I am getting DCOM/RPC
    > errors.
    >
    > When I try running almost any installer I get:
    >
    > "The InstallShield Engine(ikernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC
    > server is unavailable."
    >
    > The RPC server IS running.
    >
    > I tried running "dcomcnfg" to see what the settings were there, but whenever
    > I double-click on "Computers" under "Component Services" the entire
    > Component Services window winks out of existence (closes, crashes, whatever
    > you want to call it, it disappears).
    >
    > I've only seen this on one of eight machines I've applied SP2 to so I don't
    > think it's an intended SP2 effect.
    >
    > Any ideas how I might fix this or where else I might look for help?
    >
    > --
    > Warren Massey
    > Massey4@LLNL.Gov

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    THE Solution I found was to Enable the "DcomLaunch" Service, which I had
    disabled :-/

    "Eric C" wrote:

    > My problem is almost identical, except my ikernel.exe error is slightly
    > different. Istead of the RPC stuff, I just get "access is denied". I've
    > tried all of the installshield fixes (reregistering misexec, making sure the
    > path is correct in regedit, deleting temp files, etc. When I attempt to
    > select my computer in dcomcnfg, the window just winks out of existence, like
    > you said.
    >
    > Also, this computer came preinstalled with XP service pack 2, but we're on a
    > network with a Windows 2000 server, if that has any bearing on anything.
    >
    > Any help for us out there?
    >
    > "Warren Massey" wrote:
    >
    > > After installation of SP2 on a WinXP Pro machine I am getting DCOM/RPC
    > > errors.
    > >
    > > When I try running almost any installer I get:
    > >
    > > "The InstallShield Engine(ikernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC
    > > server is unavailable."
    > >
    > > The RPC server IS running.
    > >
    > > I tried running "dcomcnfg" to see what the settings were there, but whenever
    > > I double-click on "Computers" under "Component Services" the entire
    > > Component Services window winks out of existence (closes, crashes, whatever
    > > you want to call it, it disappears).
    > >
    > > I've only seen this on one of eight machines I've applied SP2 to so I don't
    > > think it's an intended SP2 effect.
    > >
    > > Any ideas how I might fix this or where else I might look for help?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Warren Massey
    > > Massey4@LLNL.Gov

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I have more or less the same problem (MS Installer fails, dcomcnfg fails when
    clicking on computers, no network icons anymore).

    The problem seem related to Group Policies (I can force the problem by doing
    a gpupdate and then rebooting).

    My DComLaunch service is up and running and I'm still having the problem!

    "Gian-Pa" wrote:

    > THE Solution I found was to Enable the "DcomLaunch" Service, which I had
    > disabled :-/
    >
    > "Eric C" wrote:
    >
    > > My problem is almost identical, except my ikernel.exe error is slightly
    > > different. Istead of the RPC stuff, I just get "access is denied". I've
    > > tried all of the installshield fixes (reregistering misexec, making sure the
    > > path is correct in regedit, deleting temp files, etc. When I attempt to
    > > select my computer in dcomcnfg, the window just winks out of existence, like
    > > you said.
    > >
    > > Also, this computer came preinstalled with XP service pack 2, but we're on a
    > > network with a Windows 2000 server, if that has any bearing on anything.
    > >
    > > Any help for us out there?
    > >
    > > "Warren Massey" wrote:
    > >
    > > > After installation of SP2 on a WinXP Pro machine I am getting DCOM/RPC
    > > > errors.
    > > >
    > > > When I try running almost any installer I get:
    > > >
    > > > "The InstallShield Engine(ikernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC
    > > > server is unavailable."
    > > >
    > > > The RPC server IS running.
    > > >
    > > > I tried running "dcomcnfg" to see what the settings were there, but whenever
    > > > I double-click on "Computers" under "Component Services" the entire
    > > > Component Services window winks out of existence (closes, crashes, whatever
    > > > you want to call it, it disappears).
    > > >
    > > > I've only seen this on one of eight machines I've applied SP2 to so I don't
    > > > think it's an intended SP2 effect.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas how I might fix this or where else I might look for help?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Warren Massey
    > > > Massey4@LLNL.Gov

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Dirk

    What errors ( if any ) appear in Event Viewer?

    Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
    discrepancies can
    make it harder to search for information about the error message.

    You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
    Event Viewer.
    When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
    ID, Source
    and Description are important.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
    click on the
    error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
    resembling two
    pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
    message
    (email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
    info from the
    Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
    sure this is
    the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ..

    "Dirk" <Dirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have more or less the same problem (MS Installer fails, dcomcnfg
    >fails when
    > clicking on computers, no network icons anymore).
    >
    > The problem seem related to Group Policies (I can force the problem by
    > doing
    > a gpupdate and then rebooting).
    >
    > My DComLaunch service is up and running and I'm still having the
    > problem!
    >

    > "Gian-Pa" wrote:
    >
    >> THE Solution I found was to Enable the "DcomLaunch" Service, which I
    >> had
    >> disabled :-/
    >>
    >> "Eric C" wrote:
    >>
    >> > My problem is almost identical, except my ikernel.exe error is
    >> > slightly
    >> > different. Istead of the RPC stuff, I just get "access is denied".
    >> > I've
    >> > tried all of the installshield fixes (reregistering misexec, making
    >> > sure the
    >> > path is correct in regedit, deleting temp files, etc. When I
    >> > attempt to
    >> > select my computer in dcomcnfg, the window just winks out of
    >> > existence, like
    >> > you said.
    >> >
    >> > Also, this computer came preinstalled with XP service pack 2, but
    >> > we're on a
    >> > network with a Windows 2000 server, if that has any bearing on
    >> > anything.
    >> >
    >> > Any help for us out there?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    WOW!! O.K. so LOL I am just a little intimidated by alot of the info I have
    gotton from this rpc error. you see I as well am experiancing the same
    difficulty with this error code only it is happenning when I try installing
    software wether it be from a disk or on line ,dosn't matter and then when I
    go to the processes both rpc and locator are up and running but if I try
    selecting the dependencies tab it shows nothing in fact on every process I
    tried that tab and all come back as no dependencies ? WTF is that all about
    ?,I know for a fact it used to show details before but I can't recall when
    exactly this error started in relation to rpc .Anyways my error code as well
    stats ie:( setup failed to launch installation engine:the RPC server is
    unavailable.) I all so get the one when trying to do an uninstall thru
    ADD/REMOVE ie:(The Installshield Engine (ikernel.exe) could not be launched.
    The RPC server is unavailable.) as you probably allready know I am very
    frustrated and now I have several tips to fixxing this but I am hesitant to
    try them like for instance one tip says to reinstall windows !? huh I'm
    thinking huuuu no let me say this first and for you to keep in mind while
    reading I have over 300 gig of info on my system between 2 hard drives and I
    am really not up for the whole thing of OS reinstallation unless of course
    that becomes the only opption,another suggest to uninstall nortons antivirus
    wich of course I do have after a restorring to point befor the problem and
    then reinstalling nortons ! well that's not so bad ,if I only could remember
    when the problem origanated!,the process of restoring over and over can be
    such a long task when you don't remember where the problem started . Another
    tip that worked for someone was to reinstall sp2 and I don't know what the
    procedure for that consist of but , I'm one of those impaciant people who
    hates anything that takes over a few minutes to complete a task ,
    unfortunatlly that is my problem this I know .. now this suggestion to look
    at the error log , I have taken a look at it but would you believe that the
    oldest and the newest error log are both errors and I have yet to find out if
    their are any error's prior to the oldest that coinside with my current
    problem..

    So if anybody feels like trying to go thru this with me ,mind you I am
    allso a noobie with the computer so the tasks at hand can't be to techy for
    me or I'll for surely screw something up and I have yet to successfuly
    complete a full backup of the system,so the thought of loossing over 300 gig
    of info witch most of it is important info yeah yeah I know I have been lucky
    so far with that but I'm sure that will come to an end one day hopefully I'll
    have a complete backup before that happens though. so let me know your
    thoughts,ideas and oppinions I'm always up for good suggestions and critisism
    I believe it makes you better with good critisism is that how you spell that
    any way? lol ohwell Thank you in advance for all responds if any at all.

    --
    I wish that it was'nt so difficult to be online,to all you hackers and
    other's of that sort: please go out and get a life. thank you!!

    "Gerry Cornell" wrote:

    > Dirk
    >
    > What errors ( if any ) appear in Event Viewer?
    >

    > Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
    > discrepancies can
    > make it harder to search for information about the error message.
    >
    > You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
    > Event Viewer.
    > When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
    > ID, Source
    > and Description are important.
    >
    > HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp
    >
    > A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
    > click on the
    > error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
    > resembling two
    > pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
    > message
    > (email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
    > info from the
    > Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
    > sure this is
    > the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.
    >

    > --
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Using invalid email address
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > ..
    >
    > "Dirk" <Dirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have more or less the same problem (MS Installer fails, dcomcnfg
    > >fails when
    > > clicking on computers, no network icons anymore).
    > >
    > > The problem seem related to Group Policies (I can force the problem by
    > > doing
    > > a gpupdate and then rebooting).
    > >
    > > My DComLaunch service is up and running and I'm still having the
    > > problem!
    > >

    > > "Gian-Pa" wrote:
    > >
    > >> THE Solution I found was to Enable the "DcomLaunch" Service, which I
    > >> had
    > >> disabled :-/

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    lol

    all u have to do is type this in "prompt of command"

    sc config DcomLaunch start= auto
    (respect spaces)
    and
    sc start DcomLaunch

    thats it :D (this service is necessary to many programs and other things in
    winzoz)

    cya :P
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    set in auto and start "DcomLaunch" service

    sc config DcomLaunch start= auto

    sc start DcomLaunch

    good luck

    Gian-Pa
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Gary,

    I actually fixed my problem by deleting the policies for my domain and
    recreating them. BTW, this was my only active policy

    After that ... everything worked again!

    WM_HOPE_THIS_HELPS,
    Dirk

    "Gary" wrote:

> [...]
    > >
    > > Gerry
    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > > FCA
    > >
    > > Using invalid email address
    > >
    > > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > > suggested solution worked for you.
    > >
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >
    > > ..
    > >
    > > "Dirk" <Dirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I have more or less the same problem (MS Installer fails, dcomcnfg
    > > >fails when
    > > > clicking on computers, no network icons anymore).
    > > >
    > > > The problem seem related to Group Policies (I can force the problem by
    > > > doing
    > > > a gpupdate and then rebooting).
    > > >
    > > > My DComLaunch service is up and running and I'm still having the

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:51:02 -0700, "Dirk"
    <Dirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >After that ... everything worked again!

    ....except your delete key to SNIP.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    Ok, hello. so im gonna start by saying im no computer genius. i
    looked ths error message up on google, and i was led to this site. i
    was led to this link. it seems there are answers to many questions.
    I am working on this cs host message problem. everytime we open the
    internet(using comcast cable internet) we get this message
    "name= error number 2146827859 description = automation server can't
    creat object message= automation server can't create object"

    you try to close out the pop up, and it does not close. in comes
    annoying pop ups, and you cant close those either. finally, your one
    open page doesnt want to close. you have to restart the computer.
    now, you can search and use the web, but the problem persists. We
    are using a gateway computer with an intel celeron processor and
    windows xp. we have error guard for viruses and such. what can i do
    to fix this problem. remember, im halfway computer retarded. thank
    you so much to anybody who can help out. please feel free to email
    at armes04@yahoo.com

    jason

    Comet cursor? Remove it.

    From Ramesh...
    Try these commands from Start, Run:

    regsvr32 /i mshtml
    regsvr32 shgina

    Or look over these
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=2146827859&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

    Also scan for spyware.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:11gg3rai6gv8c7e@news.supernews.com,
    chicagoarmes <armes04@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> hunted and pecked:
    > Ok, hello. so im gonna start by saying im no computer genius. i
    > looked ths error message up on google, and i was led to this site. i
    > was led to this link. it seems there are answers to many questions.
    > I am working on this cs host message problem. everytime we open the
    > internet(using comcast cable internet) we get this message
    > "name= error number 2146827859 description = automation server can't
    > creat object message= automation server can't create object"
    >
    > you try to close out the pop up, and it does not close. in comes
    > annoying pop ups, and you cant close those either. finally, your one
    > open page doesnt want to close. you have to restart the computer.
    > now, you can search and use the web, but the problem persists. We
    > are using a gateway computer with an intel celeron processor and
    > windows xp. we have error guard for viruses and such. what can i do
    > to fix this problem. remember, im halfway computer retarded. thank
    > you so much to anybody who can help out. please feel free to email
    > at armes04@yahoo.com
    >
    > jason

Configuration RPC Microsoft Windows XP