Simple Question

mopkop

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hi. All I want to know is, is it posible to use tri-channel RAM in a dual-channel Mobo with a I5 750?

Like use the 2 in the black slot and other 1 in Red slot or watever colour in the mobo.

the reason im asking is its cheaper to buy tri 3GB that 4gb dual and I want atleast more than 2gb.

And maybe if you know will there be a big peformance diff between 3gb tri and 4gb exept for obviously the 1 gb diff. ooo and is it posible to add another gig with same specs and brand later on in the last open slot.

Yeah it's possible, but bear in mind that that kit will only run at dual-channel with 2 sticks and single channel with the other one.

In other words, if you get a triple channel kit, then at least one module will be running in single channel mode.

Finally, you can add the other 1GB stick in the future, with the same specifications without problems, and you will get dual-channel in the four slots of RAM.

I believe if you install 3 modules, it will go to single channel ONLY. So no, there is not point at getting a triple channel set. Just buy the dual and save some $.

Source, My GB manual:

Due to CPU limitations, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode.
1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed.
2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used for optimum performance. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 sockets.