[New Build] ~$500 Dev Box (already have some parts)

ldoolitt

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Hey Guys / Gals,

I'll start by saying I'm a build virgin. I've swapped out hard drives and put in new memory in the past but that is about the extent of it. Never have I built something from scratch. So....

I'm looking to build a new desktop for about $500 or so in the next 2 months.

The main purpose of it is for software development. Its going to be compiling rather large Visual Studio projects, running mini-IIS for web debugging, running microsoft expression blend and photoshop, probably all simultaneously. Also the Software is very memory intensive as there is a lot of matrix math involved. Most of the time I will be remoting into the box so I dont need a keyboard, monitor, mouse or speakers.

The ancillary purpose of it is to pipe video to my TV (like instant netflix movies) through HDMI. Thats not crucial but rather a nice to have. And it doesn't have to be of spectacular quality; I'm not really a graphics snob.

Also I'd like the memory to be expandable because I'm not sure how intensive some of the applications will get.

I already have (as 'gifts')
(1) A DVD-R drive
(2) 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800

Here is what I pieced together as a first shot

Motherboard: ASUS P5N7A-VM
CPU: Intel Quad Core 9400
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 (already have)
Hard Drive: 200GB Seagate
Power Supply: SeaSonic SS-500ET
Cooling Fan: ???
Heatsink: ????
Case: GIGABYTE Luxo X142 (I'll never really look at it so it doesnt have to look nice, just be effective)
Optical Drive: Samsung DVD-RW (already have)
Video Card: NONE (Onboard w/HDMI)

Questions:
(1) Are the parts compatible (stupid but basic question)?
(2) Are any of the parts radical over or underkill?
(3) I dont know anything about cooling fans or heatsinks; what would be appropriate for this setup?
(4) I dont know anything about overclocking; is this setup suitable for overclocking?
(4) Is there a setup that might be better for a similar price?

Thanks for the help All!

Luke

At least get a case with both front and rear fans. This rosewill wind ryder is the best $40 case I have found.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147114
It is designed for a flat CPU cooler like this Zalman. Cheap but adequite for some overclocking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118114

Seems a shame to spend that much on a CPU/Motherboard and get a dead socket 775 system, but the extra RAM cost would probably put an i5 out of your price range.

ldoolitt

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

Okay good tip for the case.

I thought that I read somewhere that intel was changing sockets again?

The 1156 is the new low end socket. There are dual core CPUs (probably called i3) coming out for it next year. The 1366 is the new high end socket. There is a 6 core CPU (probably called i9) coming out for it next year.

I think I did see something about maybe a newer socket when they drop down to the next lower die size, but that was like a 2012 timeframe. A few years down the road.

ldoolitt

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

Hmmm, maybe in that case I will just wait a few months for the price of DDR3 to go down a bit more and then gear up with something that will last me a few years.

Thanks for the advice.